Idea: "boxing in" the hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i have a spot under my balcony, currently has grass, that would be perfect for growing hops. i want to grow 3 or 4 varieties. in order to keep them separate, i've been considering creating in-ground "boxes" or "pens" for each plant (not sure what the correct term is here) to keep their roots separate from each other.

what i want to do is dig up the area and use treated wood or plastic landscaping material to create dividers (partitions?), then put the soil back in, so each rhizome has its own section.

is there any value in doing this? if i plant the rhizomes 3-4 feet apart, will they eventually become a big tangled mess otherwise? would i be better off just planting them in the soil without worrying about creating dividers between them? we have pretty good soil and i'm an avid gardener... i'm trying to plan for the future :)

thanks!

You can do it but the idea of a containment system seems like too much work for my own situation. If you have gardening experience you're a step ahead in the game because you'll most likely have do dig the whole crown up and prune it back about every 2nd or 3rd year to keep the 'spread' from occurring. How far they'll spread depends on the soil texture and the varieties you plant. Some tend to run a little more than others. You make the call but no matter what you do, make sure to have fun with it!

You might want to consider reducing the number of varieties in that small a space. Most hops develop 30-40" side arm branches -which cause the tangling. Good rule of thumb between varieties is 6' between. (Unless you don't mind a little mixing:)) Same variety?- then 3 foot spacing is fine.

If all you want to do is keep the roots from spreading then planting them in boxes will work. I've got mine growing in old tires, kind of like a lazy mans raised bed. I've had them growing like this for 4 years and it's a great way to contain them.

That is exactly what I did with some of my hops. I first grew them in a homemade cedar box, then the next season I dug a hole the size of the box, removed the "rootball" from the box, took some cuttings off the rhizomes, wrapped the ball with weed fabric(lay it down under landscapping to keep out weeds), then outlined the top of the soil with cedar trim. The roots go down, not out. Works like a charm.

This is one of my Chelans. Took cuttings(easy to do this way) and made some new hills with them. I wrapped this with antiweed fabric and placed in hole.
chelanout.jpg

The one tall planter box has no bottom. The rest are simply outlined on top with cedar to help keep seperate on top. Am able to grow Cascades, Chelan, and Chinooks close together.
hopgarden2.jpg

I currently grow Cascade Hops and would like to plant a Centennial variety as well. Can you show me more pictures specifically how to guide them as they grow higher. I have stumped several landscapers on how to incorporate my hobby into my backyard.

CentralWABrewing said:
The one tall planter box has no bottom. The rest are simply outlined on top with cedar to help keep seperate on top. Am able to grow Cascades, Chelan, and Chinooks close together.

I use tent stakes anchored to the base of the plant, attach twine to it and attach the other end to the overhang of the roof of the house. Shoot for approx. 18ft in height and you'll have no issues with not enough room.

I grow hops on trellis 14 feet tall in center and 7 feet on sides in a 20' square area. 2 sides only. 2 open ends with no hops

ForumRunner_20120226_231206.jpg

ForumRunner_20120226_231242.jpg

ForumRunner_20120226_231311.jpg

I wait until it is warm before training the bines on the bailing twine I got at the farm store. I have 6 plants on each side with 5 ' between varieties. I have 3 varieties of hops only.

I train every couple of days when they are growing fast. I allow 6 bines per plant to grow and train them as I wish. Spend considerable time keeping the new starts trimmed at ground level

I grow hops on trellis 14 feet tall in center and 7 feet on sides in a 20' square area. 2 sides only. 2 open ends with no hops
really cool photos. i like your system.

do you start the hops on either side, and they meet in the middle? or do they start from on side only, grow up to the highest point of the trellis, then grow back down the other side?

do you have any problems with different varieties growing into each other and getting tangled together? if yes, how do you deal with them come harvest time?

Hopgardencody said:
I train every couple of days when they are growing fast. I allow 6 bines per plant to grow and train them as I wish. Spend considerable time keeping the new starts trimmed at ground level

Awesome hop house. Everyone says 2-3/plant so is 6 just as good? What kind of yield are you getting?

This was my third year fire the cascade hops on one side and 2nd year on the other side. The cascade grow over the top. I started with three ryzomes os cascade the first year. I took 3 large cuttings the second year and have 6 ryzome hills now. I only harvested the best this year and got 10 pounds of cascade. the tett and hallertaur grow from opposite sides of the structure but this was their second year so I didn't get as much. I have been adding steer manure each year, a little fertilizer, and this past year I added a drop irrigation system. I also had to use a fruit tree root pesticide before the flowers came our as last year the crop was ruined by aphids. I tries the organic way and had a million lady bugs but they just couldn't keep up. The pesticide did the trick.

The hops start on both sides and grow to the peak. Since I planted the cascade at opposing sides it's ok they grow together. The tett and hallertaur grow together and least year I just didn't harvest what I couldn't identify as they get tangled up. I have since found or they are very close in flavor and acids so I plan on blending then this year at harvest and mixing them together. the cascade have unique flowers in comparison and the binges do grow a little together but I try not to let them tangle too much with the hallertaur and tett

sweetcell said:
really cool photos. i like your system.

do you start the hops on either side, and they meet in the middle? or do they start from on side only, grow up to the highest point of the trellis, then grow back down the other side?

do you have any problems with different varieties growing into each other and getting tangled together? if yes, how do you deal with them come harvest time?

See my reply... I didn't know how to do this so you may not see it without seeking it in this thread.

I also had to use a fruit tree root pesticide before the flowers came our as last year the crop was ruined by aphids. . .The pesticide did the trick.

Please be careful and read and understand the pesticide label of the product you use. Most have a 'do not use xx days prior to harvest' statement on them. I don't know what you used but a 'root pesticide' sounds like a 'systemic' to me, which are usually pretty nasty compounds. Potential for a stomach ache and a unique tasting beer. Just sayin'.

Please be careful and read and understand the pesticide label of the product you use. Most have a 'do not use xx days prior to harvest' statement on them. I don't know what you used but a 'root pesticide' sounds like a 'systemic' to me, which are usually pretty nasty compounds. Potential for a stomach ache and a unique tasting beer. Just sayin'.

"Man, this beer of yours has got me f**ked up!"

"Oh, my Pesticide Ale? Yeah, everybody loves that stuff."

B-Hoppy said:

Yes. I applied in accordance with label and doubled the minimum time before harvest.

hopgarden,

That's good to hear. Many folks who aren't real familiar with pesticides don't seem to be too concerned with the label. Many times, if the picture on the container has the same pest they're trying to control, they just dump it on without checking to see if it's actually labeled to be used on their particular crop. At least you're still around to talk about it!

B-Hoppy said:
hopgarden,

That's good to hear. Many folks who aren't real familiar with pesticides don't seem to be too concerned with the label. Many times, if the picture on the container has the same pest they're trying to control, they just dump it on without checking to see if it's actually labeled to be used on their particular crop. At least you're still around to talk about it!

Yes. I used something tiny like an ounce -i can't recall the exact instructions -for a gallon and poured it over 40 feet of ground. It was the bayer fruit\veggie topical stuff. I think there is ten years supply in the bottle I had to buy

Yes. I used something tiny like an ounce -i can't recall the exact instructions -for a gallon and poured it over 40 feet of ground. It was the bayer fruit\veggie topical stuff. I think there is ten years supply in the bottle I had to buy

Here's some info. on the active ingredient: http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/emon/pubs/fatememo/Imidclprdfate2.pdf . The label doesn't mention hops, but I don't have the authority to arrest you, lock you up and deprive you of beer for an extended period so you're safe in that respect. Being that it is labeled to be used on such a wide range of plants, I would say that you're probably safe with respect to any potential toxic effect of the compound being ingested by using the hops in a brew, but I learned never to say never. Hops, being such a unique crop, don't have an extensive list of products labeled for use being that the $$ of getting a product labeled is quite expensive. Many times, the ACTIVE INGREDIENT of a particular product can be used in the production of different crops, but that particular PRODUCT may not be labeled for use on those other crops. It's not me, it's the government and when there's $$ to be made they'll figure out a way to make you pay more. Now it's time for a beer!

B-Hoppy said:
Here's some info. on the active ingredient: http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/emon/pubs/fatememo/Imidclprdfate2.pdf . The label doesn't mention hops, but I don't have the authority to arrest you, lock you up and deprive you of beer for an extended period so you're safe in that respect. Being that it is labeled to be used on such a wide range of plants, I would say that you're probably safe with respect to any potential toxic effect of the compound being ingested by using the hops in a brew, but I learned never to say never. Hops, being such a unique crop, don't have an extensive list of products labeled for use being that the $$ of getting a product labeled is quite expensive. Many times, the ACTIVE INGREDIENT of a particular product can be used in the production of different crops, but that particular PRODUCT may not be labeled for use on those other crops. It's not me, it's the government and when there's $$ to be made they'll figure out a way to make you pay more. Now it's time for a beer!

Yes I contemplated for a long time before selecting the product

Back