Ice strain in wort while cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitesheperd

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if I could add the ice straight to the wort while chilling in the sink?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hey guys I was wondering if I could add the ice straight to the wort while chilling in the sink?

Normally ice is not sanitary - freezing only slows down micro-organisms, it does not kill them.

A better option is to freeze water bottles and give those a sanitize on the way to the brew pot.

You can do it if everything is sanitary. Zip lock bags work well. Sanitize bags inside and outside, add your clean water and freeze. Sanitize the bag again when you get ready to use the ice. Cut it open with a sanitized knife and add to the wort. Don't forget to sanitize your hands.

Wow never thought about sanatiIng the water(; with like potassium meta?? I have campden tables whitch is potassium meta.. I used it quite often when making wine.. ANYWAYS I used it to sanitize all my equipment today for brewing my beer.. So I could add that to the water and put in freezer and freeze it then add into the wort? Just thinking ahead or next time :)

There are some brands of ice that are labeled to the effect "ice is food" so they are filtered, treated, and then sanitized before they fill the sanitized bags. Otherwise, sani-water into a zip bag and call it good.

Wow never thought about sanatiIng the water(; with like potassium meta?? I have campden tables whitch is potassium meta.. I used it quite often when making wine.. ANYWAYS I used it to sanitize all my equipment today for brewing my beer.. So I could add that to the water and put in freezer and freeze it then add into the wort? Just thinking ahead or next time :)

Maybe I should clarify. You can sanitize water by boiling. There may be chemicals that can do it, but then there is the aftertaste.

I make ice with clean water. Which is water from our tap. We have our own well and I consider it clean water. Never had an infection in all the years of using our tap water to top off.

Yes u are correct at a point.. But boiling kills barriers, once u out ice in the boiling wort or water temp drops below boiling then it's no longer killing bacteria..

Wow never thought about sanatiIng the water

It's not the water, it's the bacteria in the air circulating by fan in your freezer, and the bacteria on your ice cube trays. So the ziploc method is a great idea.

I'd stay away from campden tabs, the amount needed to kill bugs can slow yeast growth in wort.

I had a problem 20 years ago and the confirmed source was tap water, so I prefer to avoid the risk of using it straight from the tap. Some swear by straight tap water and never have an issue.

Latest posts

Back