Ice bath to control fermentation temp...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikek

Reaction score
http://morebeer.com/articles/fermentation-control

Going to do this on upcoming massive RIS. My question is do those who have done before or have more knowledge than I do comment on the need for keeping cool even during the secondary process?? I know the first 5-7 days is crucial to keep cool but once the primary is don can I allow it to be at room temp outside of the ice bath??

Once your Krausen dissipates you should be able to pull it from the bath and let the temp raise up a bit if necessary. You could leave it in the bath a few weeks as long as you are able to maintain the temps easily and still end up with a clean beer.

I actually helped a buddy this past week with a porter and we threw the beer in a cold tub, and it has stayed at a consistent 64-66 since brew day, on and upstairs floor with the thermostat at 70F! I'm impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The first couple days are the most important. I let it come to room temp when the fermentation starts to slow down. Usually 2-3 days.

The first couple days are the most important. I let it come to room temp when the fermentation starts to slow down. Usually 2-3 days.

I actually emailed the guy who wrote an article on this when he was with Morebeer. He got back to me and recommended a week in ice bath, followed by a week at warmer temps for diacytyl (spelling) uptake then a 3rd week cold (not sure why...cold crash??). Then into secondary for several months.

I do this. I do a week at about 62-66 in the tub, then drain the bath and let it sit at room temp after that.

Back