Ice bath problem maybe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rferguson61

Reaction score
I made an amber lager two weeks ago and I've been kinda worked about something. I don't have a wort chiller and it took quite some time for the temp to drop just putting the pot in an ice bath. When I finally poured it into the carboy it was as if something had settled out. It honestly looked like the yeast cake on the bottom of a fermenter. I poured it all in anyways. Did I screw something up? Is that normal with that style of beer?

That was what is referred to as trub. It is a combination of hop matter and cold break which is proteins that break out of the solution when chilled. It is completely normal. There is debate on how much is acceptable in the fermentor or if you should put it in at all. Basically it wont hurt anything. Studies from White Labs have shown the yeast will use some of it as food/nutrients and the rest will settle out with the yeast after fermentation. Some people try to keep the amount into the fermentor to a minimum, but it is mostly a visual thing.

Don't sweat it, it's not gonna have any noticeable effect on your beer.

Latest posts

Back