ice bath at end of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GayleHomebrew

Reaction score
I got a tip from a local brewer that giving your primary fermenter a nice ice bath the night before or a couple hours before bottling will settle the sediment to the bottom and its easier to control. Will this have any side effects on my brew? If it will, any suggestions for sediment control? I dont want to eliminate it, i just want less of it in my bottles.

Fairly new to brewing, and any tips are greatly appreciated.

The process the brewer described, is called "cold crashing". A very common process to alleviate lots of trub in the bottling bucket. Most posters that cold crash will recommend holding the lowered temperature for two or three days, not two or three hours.

So i should extend the cold crash at the end of fermentation? Or during the last couple days? And no negative side effects will occur with such a temp drop?

This is a form of cold crashing, which is quite common. Most people do it in a temperature controlled freezer at about 34* (which is what I do) or outside if your are somewhere cold enough (which is what I did before I had a fermentation/cold-crashing freezer) for a day or two. Many people do it for longer. An overnight ice bath would help drop some sediment before bottling and clear the beer. It will have no negative affect on your beer. It will not drop so much yeast out that you cannot bottle, and you do not have to warm it up before bottling.

Latest posts

Back