Ibu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan33

Reaction score
I am pretty new to brewing. I am attempting my first saison and I am attempting to make my own recipe. I'm not going traditional with the hop schedule as I have a couple ounces of sauvin hops I plan to hop burst with at 1/2 ounce at 15, 10, 0, &dryhop. My question is about my ibus. To get up in mid range for the style I plan on using a quarter ounce magnum at 20 minutes. Is this a good idea to stay true to the hop burst or should I add small amount at beginning of the boil? I chose magnum for the clean bittering but have simcoe cascsde amirillo or citra that I could use. I have no pilsner malt so my recipe is as follows.
9lbs 2 row
1 lb white wheat
1lb munich
1 lb carafoam
.25 lb special b
.33 magnum 20 minutes
.5 sauvin 15 min
.5 sauvin 10 min
1 oz bitter orange 5 min
.5 oz seeds of paridise. 5 min
.5 sauvin flameout
.5 sauvin dryhop
Wyeast french saison

Anyone have any suggestions to this before brewday wenesday.

I should mention that I lime hopbursting for the flavor without all the bite from bittering.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Well I had a problem with the brew wich wasn't related. When chilling my wort was full of coagulation. Not normal cold break. I have had this happen before in a beer. It then geta a hard to explain aroma and bad taste. Does anyone know what causes this? I hate to have another batch so this to me.

When chilling my wort was full of coagulation. Not normal cold break. I have had this happen before in a beer. It then geta a hard to explain aroma and bad taste. Does anyone know what causes this?
Weird! I've never heard of this! Do you use any kind of kettle finings? I used to do 3 gallon batches with 1 tablet of Whirlfloc, which is technically overdoing it, but never had any kind of problem. Do you separate the clear wort from the cold break going into your fermenter? I'm a dumper - I don't separate the clear wort from my cold break. Everything goes into the fermenter. Gravity separates it out over an hour or two.

I'm a dumper also. However there would be no dumping the wort off this cold break. It was all through the wort. I used a whirflock tab like always. Next two beers after this had no problem. It is just not the only time I have had this problem. Bad taste and aroma also. I am trying to see what happens if conversion wasn't done right now but am not having any luck. I am pretty down after that one. It was a saison with all sauvin hops. Was hoping for something really good but ill probably never know. I still have it in primary after 3 weeks and it seems to be like my other experience with this. Not going away. Would love to hear some more thoughts on what could cause this. It is bad enough I usually have to dump the brew. Luckily I had a day off and had a chance to brew 2 more beers but hate loosing a potential good beer

Back