IBU question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppybrewster

Reaction score
I got a Amarillo Pale Ale extract kit as a gift, don't really use kits but it was the right price:

6 lbs golden light LME
1 lbs golden light DME
8 oz caramel 40L
8 oz carapilis 6 row
1/2 oz Columbus 60 min
1 oz Amarillo 20 min
1 oz Amarillo 0 min

The kit instructions say I'd end up with a 44 IBU.

I plug the recipe into Beersmith using a style of American Pale Ale and I end up with an IBU of 24.6. Who's right? What should I do? Leave it alone?

what is the AA% of the hops?

IBU should be (OZs x AA x Utilization) / (gallons of wort x 1.34)

It all depends on the alpha acids in the hops. You can toy around with your hop additions in Beer Smith to get the IBU you desire.

BeerSmith uses 3 different methods to calculate the IBUs; Tinseth, Rager, and Garetz. None of them are right, and all 3 will give you very different results. You have to tell BeerSmith which one to use.

It is not surprising that you can't get an accurate calculation, as everyone's process is different. Most people get used to using just one as it seems to be close to what they produce. Personally, I prefer Rager.

BeerSmith uses 3 different methods to calculate the IBUs; Tinseth, Rager, and Garetz. None of them are right, and all 3 will give you very different results. You have to tell BeerSmith which one to use.

It is not surprising that you can't get an accurate calculation, as everyone's process is different. Most people get used to using just one as it seems to be close to what they produce. Personally, I prefer Rager.

So now what? Do I just trust the 44 IBU that the kit says?

I get over 56 on just the columbus, not even having added the amarillo, with the amarillo I am just over 77
I am either doing this wrong or both the numbers you got are wrong
could very likely be me

utilization is the percentage of the hops that get used, a 60 minute boil is 25%
a 15 minute boil is 5%

there are charts for that

this site

http://www.brewersfriend.com/ibu-calculator/

gives me another answer 68,49

the search goes on

That a pretty cool tool! I used it and came up with 29. Problem is who's right? This tool or the kit info? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389753486.280198.jpg

Have you compared the additions in BeerSmith? There is a page/menu-item called 'Hops bitterness'.

I put in your numbers from above and got the following:

Tinseth - 25 IBUs

Rager - 35 IBUs

Garetz - 21 IBUs

Most people use Tinseth or Rager when formilating recipes.

If I assume a full 5 gallon boil, I get; T - 41, R - 45, G - 27. It looks as though the IBUs were calculated assuming a full boil.

Back