I would like advice using Nelson Sauvin hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
I have read that NS is an interesting hop that can mimic a white wine. I have used them before but I also had some Galaxy in the mix and don't recall any white wine flavor. That beer was a 4%ABV made with Marris Otter malt and half and half with galaxy hops at 50 IBU. I want to experience that white wine effect. I plan on using Vienna, and a touch of C60 to create a 4% brew. I have initially designed this at 60 IBU and I'm wondering if that's a good amount or should I make some adjustments?

I do really like this hop, and I've used it pretty often in pales and IPAs. I can't say I've ever experienced a real in the face wine flavor, but maybe some subtle notes? I just think it's a great hop, I've used it in conjunction with Amirillo before a lot too. I'm not sure that I've ever bittered with it.

If you want some of that wine like character maybe try dry hopping or some flame out additions. I think the Vienna will go well with it.

Dry Hop. A lot. Though, if you really want to boost the white wine effect, I'd either us in conjunction with Hallertau Blanc or sub Blanc entirely. Blanc is essentially the Nelson wine note without any other flavors.

Use them in a saison and you will notice the flavor you are looking for. I like them in saisons.

I have had friends taste one of my saisons using them and they made the comment about almost tasting like wine.

I just made a Belgian Golden Strong with Nelson Sauvin and love the wine-like flavor it imparts. I used in a 3 gallon batch 1oz at 10 mins before flameout and then threw in another 1 oz for 10 minutes of whirlpool for about 30-35 IBUs. It's a wonderful change from all of the citrus/tropical hops I normally use.

this is what i ended up doing for 3.5 gallons...
3.5# vienna
.5 sugar
.5 c60
.5oz NS @ 30
.5 @ 20
2 @ 10
around 4% ABV and 70 IBU
gonna DH with 1oz in the keg
used 1056 yeast
i'll find out what i got in a few weeks i guesss

I have read that NS is an interesting hop that can mimic a white wine. I have used them before but I also had some Galaxy in the mix and don't recall any white wine flavor. That beer was a 4%ABV made with Marris Otter malt and half and half with galaxy hops at 50 IBU. I want to experience that white wine effect. I plan on using Vienna, and a touch of C60 to create a 4% brew. I have initially designed this at 60 IBU and I'm wondering if that's a good amount or should I make some adjustments?
I've got an IIPA in primary now that's basically 50/50 Nelson/Citra. Did one Nelson addition in whirlpool/hopstand, saving the rest for a big dry hop.

Also, really just wanted to comment to say nice avatar, and go cocks!

I've got an IIPA in primary now that's basically 50/50 Nelson/Citra. Did one Nelson addition in whirlpool/hopstand, saving the rest for a big dry hop.

50/50 Nelson/Citra is a great combo. I use that in a reasonably hop forward saison and it's awesome. I don't think The white wine flavour I get from Nelson is what I would generally describe as white wine. It's more of the aromatics you get in something like Riesling, Gwertztraminer that kind of thing - than white wine in general. I get a lot of lychee and tropical fruit from it. When combined with the Citra I get a big lychee/lemon thing going on.

My plan is to use these in a smash. Just like I make all my smash beers the grain bill is 11 pounds of either 2-row or Maris Otter.

Bittering addition varies depending on IBU but I shoot for about 45. I do a 10, 5, and KO of an ounce per addition. Then I do 1.5oz for the dry hop.

My Mosaic smash IMO reminded me a lot of a sweet wine or even a sparkling juice of some sort. As with all hops the flavors change and by the time I was about done with the keg it tasted more like grapefruit than anything else. I just wanted to throw that in there about the mosaic being like wine because you may want to consider that.

50/50 Nelson/Citra is a great combo. I use that in a reasonably hop forward saison and it's awesome. I don't think The white wine flavour I get from Nelson is what I would generally describe as white wine. It's more of the aromatics you get in something like Riesling, Gwertztraminer that kind of thing - than white wine in general. I get a lot of lychee and tropical fruit from it. When combined with the Citra I get a big lychee/lemon thing going on.
Totally agree with the aromatics of nelson a la riesling.

Latest posts

Back