I wish I could get THAT time and money back!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisfromAbby

Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread about projects that didn't really work out that well. Feel free to share yours!

Mine is the flat counter flow heat exchanger I made based upon an article I read in Brew Your Own. It's a cool looking 1/2" copper tubing inside 3/4" PEX that consists of 6 straight runs back and forth across the back of my brew bench. Took quite a few expensive nylon compression fittings that the ended up needing to be drilled out and custom fitted then doused in epoxy sealant to make it actually work. And it still leaks. I mean it works great, and it's cool that if I get worried it disassembles and can be cleaned and brushed out. But it's a pain in the ass 'cause it drips everywhere during and after brewing. It's hard to drain completely. I'm always worried that I'm going to break it when I'm wheeling my bench in and our of the garage because parts of it kind of stick out.

If I could do it again, I wouldn't. I'd just build one of those 25' garden hose counterflows that most people use. More portable and convenient and less leaky.

Chris

Latest posts

Back