I was rear ended on the way home today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insanim8er

Reaction score
Let's see/hear photos and stories of your accidents

Some kid rear ended me on the way home.

look at that damage. Lol

His damage:
up18O1Vl.jpg

02PtFfSl.jpg

And my damage:
ScjQPull.jpg

You're jamming on the brakes raises the rear. His jamming the brakes lowers the front. Bumpers are misaligned. Happens all the time. ;)

Lol I was stopped not jamming breaks. I know front ends are made to collapse, but it's still funny my car only has a buff on the bumper.

what was the kid doing? texting? on the cell phone? playing with himself?

I'm guessing he was texting. He told the cop, "I just wasn't paying attention."

He was cocky as hell saying how it's not much damage because he can fix everything on his car, "that'll buff right out." Then wrote," hood damage no structural damage."on the paperwork th cops gave us to fill out for insurance. How would he know?

I'm guessing he was texting. He told the cop, "I just wasn't paying attention."

He was cocky as hell saying how it's not much damage because he can fix everything on his car, "that'll buff right out." Then wrote," hood damage no structural damage."on the paperwork th cops gave us to fill out for insurance. How would he know?

That could come back to haunt him if he has insurance to cover himself!
Him: the shop says the cars a write-off
Ins: can't be from the accident, you said it was not structural. You trying to play us boy! No insurance for you!

Well the hood and the bumper are toast. He'll never get it back to anything resembling nice. Plus, I can guarantee that there is significant damage to the supportin structure behind the grill and headlight area. More than likely it's a plastic piece and will never be able to hold up the stuff it's supposed to support.

Unless he wants to find some junkyard parts, and does the work himself, he will likely have a crinkled hood that will rust in a short time (or will in Michigan, with our salt roads...) and rattling, misaligned headlights.

But you never know. Coat hanger wire can work miracles for some people. And then there's the ever useful Duct Tape repair!

Years back my BIL was stopped at a spot in Big Rapids where there seems to be a bunch of fender benders. No cell phones back then, but this guy didn't notice he was stopped. Managed to slam on the brakes enough to avoid a severe accident, but his plastic Japanese car took a bit of damage. He had vertical dents in his bumper and smashed turn signals. My BIL's car was like a 75 Dodge or something and had a steel bumper with the vertical pieces. He has some of the dirt wiped off it in the accident.

I always think of that accident when I pass down that road (which is often) and it reminds me to watch for people not noticing the stop light. And I remember the same kind of thing in Mt. Pleasant from when I hit someone for the same thing (Lights not evenly spaced and not expected.)

I felt bad for T-boning that old lady, but on the other hand, I got good insurance money for the car to pay it off and I didn't have much to do to get it on the road. I had to cut the fan shroud on the side of the road so the fan would turn. And a little hammer work around the doors to get them to open properly.

Ya, I'm sure he'll piece meal his car together with some gorilla glue, chewing gum and duct tape... If he had it his way, I'm sure he would repaint my bumper with a crayon.

The crazy thing is the other day I was driving the same road. A really old lady in a Cadillac was behind me. I apply my breaks because the guy in front of me was stopped. I see her slam hers on and swerve. Then the guy behind her veered off very far to the right to avoid hitting her. There was no accident, but it was close.

Then this happened... When I got on the road and the guy originally got behind me. I could see him in my rear. I had this sinking sensation he wasn't paying much attention and would rear end me. A mile or so later... Bam. Kinda weird. I had the same thing happen a few years back when I was dating this girl. Se was driving. We were at a light. Out of no where I get this image in my head of being rear ended. I kid you not, 3 seconds later I hear the sliding of tires against the road and BAM.

Maybe I am gifted? Any of you want your fortunes told? Only $4.99 a minute. I accept grain and hops as barter. Just to prove to you all I'm not a hack, I will give you a free reading..... "Mmmm.... I see you brewing beer in your imediate future." :p

I rear ended a guy once. I had a Mazda 6 and he had a Dodge Ram of some sort with a big trailer hitch on the back. Guess how high the hitch was? Correct, just as high as my hood. Kinda like your accident. I took all the damage. We pulled into a parking lot. He took one look at his truck and then my car and said "Dude, you took the worst of it. My hitch has a scratch in it. No worries. See ya later."

i rear-ended someone on my way to brew club meeting back in Dec

my '99 Neon vs '12 Ford Explorer Main Battle Tank

MBT got a crack in the plastic bumper. Neon was toast

no one hurt. no beer lost

IMG_9114.jpg

I kid you not, 3 seconds later I hear the sliding of tires against the road and BAM.

This is actually pretty common. It's something to do with your brain processing the idea of what's happened before it processes the sensory experience. It's the same reason you feel like you woke up right *before* a loud noise, or you started listening right *before* someone said your name.

I was rear-ended on the freeway once. I was driving normally at 65 on an otherwise empty freeway at night. The other guy was a spoiled rich kid, high as a kite driving over 120 in the new Mercedes his parents bought him. He slammed right into me out of nowhere and totaled my car (luckily a Volvo so I wasn't hurt). He pulled over briefly and I guess briefly considered exchanging info, but decided "aw, **** this! I don't wanna get in trouble!" and vroom, off he goes without ever getting out of the car. Drives away with smoke pouring out of his hood.

Fortunately for me, this happened like 3/4 mile after a toll road FastTrak checkpoint, and he didn't have a FastTrak transponder so they not only photographed his license plate but also recorded his speed. The cops tracked him down and it turns out he was in rehab at the time; I guess he took off and went on a binge of some kind. I bet he went to jail for a while, but I didn't really hear anything more about it.

I rear ended a guy once.

Damn... You lucked out all considering. Unfortunately I wasn't in a big truck. He hit me good, so I was forced forward and I'm feeling it a bit. I'm taking it easy today. Good thing im not low on homebrew.

i rear-ended someone on my way to brew club meeting back in Dec [...] no beer lost

Hey as long as no beer was lost, it was a good day! God imagine having a trunk full of wort in glass carboys and getting slammed into

This is actually pretty common. It's something to do with your brain processing the idea of what's happened before it processes the sensory experience. [...] I was rear-ended on the freeway once.

So you're telling me I'm not gifted? Damn! Looks like ill have to charge $2.49/hr instead for my fortune telling... :)

I'm sure that kid got his ass handed to him... Unless his parents bought him out of the jam. You should've sued his ass for the principal alone. Tell them you have post tramatic stress and can't drive on the freeway anymore with out crying.

When I was younger my buddy had just purchased a brand new Subaru WRX. This was when they first came out. He didn't even have plates on the car and we got into a good accident.

We were driving down 82nd it's 2 lanes. We were pretty much the only car on the road and it was late at night—almost midnight. We started to approach a police officer who was on the road,but he was at a creeping pace. Looked like he was coping out a mini mart. My friend turned to the other lane to go around him, keep in mind it was at a slow pace because we had no idea what the cop was doing. We got to where the rear of our car was just last the cop and BAM! Out of no where a huge ass truck plowed us. It caved in the trunk shattered the glass spun us 30ft in a circle. My seat actually broke. I look up and ZOOOOOM the truck blasts past us with sparks flying... VROOOOOM the cop chased right after him. He got him about a 1/4mile down. It was insane. We never saw the dude, but the report said he had a passenger. He was an old white guy. It was a young African america female. Late at night on 82nd.... I don't think he was paying much attention to the road to be honest.

I want to see more photos and stories from others now!

About 2 years ago, I was on the way to work with a buddy (we carpooled at the time). He was driving his Ford Ranger and we had just gotten off the interstate and were stopped on the ramp due to traffic. A woman in a large SUV neglected to brake and slammed into the back of us at 50+. I was knocked out cold when my head took out the rear window of the truck. Fortunately, I only had a mild concussion and a chunk taken out of my scalp. It turns out that the driver was an illegal immigrant with no insurance. After all of the fun with the insurance company, the county attorney calls my buddy and me. We both documented our true out of pocket expenses and were asked what we would like to see happen to the driver. We both said, we would like to be reimbursed for our expenses. The driver's day in court came up and she was given the option of jail time or paying us. She picked paying us. The cash came slowly. but it finally did. I am glad that this option was given as it prevented an additional expense from being incurred by the community (sending her to jail) and transferred the cost of her actions back to her.

I get so mad when I see people doing other crap (phone) when they need to be driving. The kids call it a red light break, they text their little hearts out, and don't forget "selfies" as they drive. Dear Lord, please give me the strength not to beat the crap out of the next distracted driver who hit's me.

That looks like it hit juuuust right to pretty much scrape the whole front back, looks like the bumper is 100% in tact. That's whats intended to take the blow.

Mine is a 1996, so i made the cut-off.

I freaking love my volvo. I bought it used a few years back. It hasn't even hit 100k miles yet. It has a few minor qwerks, but it's been a great car so far.

The seats are the most comfortable car seats I've experienced in any car.

That looks like it hit juuuust right to pretty much scrape the whole front back, looks like the bumper is 100% in tact. That's whats intended to take the blow.

Mine is a 1996, so i made the cut-off.

I freaking love my volvo. I bought it used a few years back. It hasn't even hit 100k miles yet. It has a few minor qwerks, but it's been a great car so far.

The seats are the most comfortable car seats I've experienced in any car.

It is said that the bricks are the most reliable. The truest of the swedish tanks. And yes, his spare was left sitting on my car. Bought it new at the end of 02' and it had nearly 130K on the clock the day of demise.

The irony being that I was glad to see it go so violently. I hated that car. spacious enough but the most uncomfortable car I've ever driven on a road trip. (shrug) I was actually terrified they'd tell me they could fix it.

While the damage to your car looks superficial, I would not be surprised if you have more structural damage to your vehicle's frame. Look inside your trunk and lift the liner and you might be surprised to see you sustained more damage than you initially thought.

I am glad you (or the other driver) were not injured.

yeah, I hated my car too.

too low and the doors too small (i'm a big guy), hated getting in and out

leaked oil

the tranny was failing. if I stopped too fast, it would slip into neutral and take a minute to re-engage. so I started shifting into neutral when coming to a stop, then D to take off.

the power window button assembly had come apart and was hanging off the door.

heat didn't work and the a/c would freeze the duct closed.

sunroof motor was shot, so it was stuck closed

idiots who designed the car put the cup holders right under the ashtray. not that I smoked, but anything bigger than an 8oz cup wouldn't fit

so glad to get rid of that POS. I missed my Civic, everything worked on it.

While the damage to your car looks superficial, I would not be surprised if you have more structural damage to your vehicle's frame. Look inside your trunk and lift the liner and you might be surprised to see you sustained more damage than you initially thought.

I am glad you (or the other driver) were not injured.

+1 check for frame damage

I got rear-ended by some dumb 16yo girl a few years back. She was too busy texting to see me stopped at a red light in front of her. Her front fender and hood were heavily damaged, and she cracked her windshield with her face (wasn't wearing her seatbelt), but there was literally no visible damage to my vehicle other than a tiny pea-sized paint chip.

I was prepared to just forget the whole thing, but her insurance company insisted on sending out an adjuster to take a look anyway. He agreed there was no significant cosmetic damage, but after spending a few minutes underneath the vehicle he noted some frame damage and misalignment.

They paid to fix the frame and even replaced my entire rear bumper. They offered to put me up in a rental car, but at the time I did most of my commuting by walking or biking, so I declined. Insurance companies aren't always bastards to deal with.

The insurance adjuster came out this morning. It took him 2hr to get everything done. I got just over $2000 in damage from them. This being preliminary damages.

I got a quote from a shop for $2061, so it was pretty close. Kinda crazy for what seems to be such minimal damage.

Yeah be careful - my old man was "slightly taped" on the rear bumber by another guy a while ago. Both cars looked like nothing had happened so they shook hands and just aprted ways, nothing more. Over the next few days the bumber actually pulled itself back - seems like the supports had bent but the plastic was stiff enough to push back so that it looked fine but over a few days the plastic slowly creeped into a buckled state. Not much but would of probably meant a new bumper, supports, etc = $2000 for a pro to do it. I got out the heat gun and hammer, bashed the supports straight and reworked the bumper - didn't look mint but good enough that you wouldn't notice.

Yeah be careful - my old man was "slightly taped" on the rear bumber by another guy a while ago. Both cars looked like nothing had happened so they shook hands and just aprted ways, nothing more. Over the next few days the bumber actually pulled itself back - seems like the supports had bent but the plastic was stiff enough to push back so that it looked fine but over a few days the plastic slowly creeped into a buckled state. Not much but would of probably meant a new bumper, supports, etc = $2000 for a pro to do it. I got out the heat gun and hammer, bashed the supports straight and reworked the bumper - didn't look mint but good enough that you wouldn't notice.

Be careful with bumper work. Once the low impact bumpers do their jobs they wont work as well next time. Much like motorcycle helmets they are one time use safety features.

Latest posts

Back