I was a hero last night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A hero in my little home world. Fixed the TV (big plasma), fixed the fish tank (protein skimmer), and beat my unbeatable son at chess (last move of the game was promoting my passed pawn to a queen - mate!).

Due to the unavoidable balance in the world, I need to step lightly tonight.

I hope you bought a lottery ticket while you were on that run last night. :cross:

Nicely done! I don't miss cleaning my protein skimmer one bit!

bk300.jpg

Nicely done! I don't miss cleaning my protein skimmer one bit!

I thought I would, but I'm mildy happy/surprised that I don't miss my 220 gallon reef tank with the 75 gallon sump. The humidity in my house is soooooo much better. Still have the tank. Toying with using the glass as a bar top. Toying....:mug:

I thought I would, but I'm mildy happy/surprised that I don't miss my 220 gallon reef tank with the 75 gallon sump. The humidity in my house is soooooo much better. Still have the tank. Toying with using the glass as a bar top. Toying....:mug:

I have a 90, and I've been working on the idea of going 180 (or larger). Toying with the in-wall idea. It'd be dream come true for me. We'll see.

I don't miss my in-wall 120 sps tank either. Calcium reactor, kalk reactor, refugium, sump it was a very hands on hobby.

I had a 270 and after waiting 6 months to have it built, I accidentally hit it with a hammer, while building the stand :( I gave it to a guy who thought he could fix it, 2 years later it busted wide open and flooded his basement.

I ordered a 220 after that and it was my favorite tank. but I could never relax during vacations and and after a prolonged blackout I got rid of it and took up homebrew to relieve my stress :)

I gave of my 1000 gallon set up because the humidity was horrible and took up brewing. Great choice

I've seriously considered selling off my homebrewing gear / hobby to concentrate on my reef.

Nervous, I started with my SW tank in Chadds Ford while going to college. Used to work at 202 and 30, right near you I guess. I remember driving into philly to buy fish.

I've seriously considered selling off my homebrewing gear / hobby to concentrate on my reef.

Nervous, I started with my SW tank in Chadds Ford while going to college. Used to work at 202 and 30, right near you I guess. I remember driving into philly to buy fish.

Small world! You probably bought them from The Hidden Reef? That place burned down and he moved down the road a bit. Out of all of my hobbies, Reef keeping was by far the most and one of my hobbies was flying :0

Guys I used to work with in Virginia had marine tanks, they were beautiful, tons of work from what I understand but you better not have to move to a new location. I've got a 45gal fresh water tank, lots easier to move and a lot more forgiving to maintain. Enjoy your reef tank I always wanted one but had to move too many times as three jobs got moved to Mexico (thanks NAFTA!)

VERY hands-on. I have an autodoser that takes care of calc, alk, and Mg. Still, I have to check levels all the time. It's a great hobby, and another giant money pit.

The hobby is certainly a rewarding one. But, you've got the money pit part right, especially when you go large. Just to replace the UV bulbs costs a small fortune and with the set up I had...that was about every 3-4 months. If you waited, the corals started to go south quick. I wish I would have just been satisfied with my original 75 gallon setup. I really do believe I still would be in that hobby if I had. Oh well. Oh, and you didn't live that far from me either. May 45-60 minutes away. Been to Hidden Reef too. :mug:

The hobby is certainly a rewarding one. But, you've got the money pit part right, especially when you go large. Just to replace the UV bulbs costs a small fortune and with the set up I had...that was about every 3-4 months. If you waited, the corals started to go south quick. I wish I would have just been satisfied with my original 75 gallon setup. I really do believe I still would be in that hobby if I had. Oh well. Oh, and you didn't live that far from me either. May 45-60 minutes away. Been to Hidden Reef too. :mug:

I replaced my UVs with LEDs. Hopefully I get much better life from them than the actinics. The spectrum should never change. I also run metal halides, which DO need to be replaced every 9 months.

I just dropped $150 of frags in my tank. Still in bags. Acro, palys, rainbo scoly, a couple of odd ricordia.

This thread is kinda freaking me out... two of my favorite forums are colliding... (I hang out a lot at reefcentral.com).

If I ever went reef again I would just go with a tank full of zoos and a couple percs that with my luck would probably host in a powerhead. Something with much less stress where you could actually go on a vacation once in a while.

If I ever went reef again I would just go with a tank full of zoos and a couple percs that with my luck would probably host in a powerhead. Something with much less stress where you could actually go on a vacation once in a while.

Zoa tanks are very cool.

This guy is the zoa king.

http://instagram.com/joshporksandwich

Meh... We don't have fish in the desert. Here a protein skim means they pulled another body out of the Rio Grande!

Good on you for being the hero PP!

passedpawn said:
Just got beat at chess by my 16 yr old. Oh well, we'll always have last night.

I gave up trying to beat my youngest at chess when he was about 14. I still remember the look on the guys face at the Renaissance Festival, who was playing like 10 people at once, when he discovered that this "kid" had just taken his queen. Classic.

Back