I think I'm back...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got my ingredients so it looks like my first brew day back will be Sunday. I'll be mashing about 5 pounds of grain and then adding 3 pounds of dry extract. Because of my limited time and space, I'm doing a single stage fermentation for two or three weeks in a plastic bucket then straight into the keg. I'll be interested to see how this turns out
Now, I hope I can remember how to brew! It's like riding a bike right???

Brewed last Saturday and that was the easiest session I have ever done! Nailed my rest temp (154) and the cooler only lost one degree in an hour. I had to recirculate less than a quart of wort and it was running nice and clear. The SS braid allowed for a nice sparge without a hint of getting stuck. The new element I installed on the stove brought the approximately 4 gallons of wort to boil in less than 20 minutes ( I started heating the wort during the sparge as soon as there was enough in the brew-pot to prevent burning). I did over shoot my OG. I hit 1.060 and was shooting for 1.056. I'm not too worried about that.
Everything was going to good to be true...
I checked on the fermenter about three hours after I pitched the yeast and the temp had climbed to 77 degrees F. Later that evening it rose to 79. I found a cooler place for it and it dropped to 70 degrees but it might have been too late. I'm not going to worry about it though. I'll just make the best of it and RDWHAHB. Oh, wait, I don't have any home brew. Guess I'll have to have a beer from Dry Dock!:mug:

All in all- it is good to be back!

Three hours at the higher temp isn't an issue. If you rehydrated the yeast prior to pitching, then had similar temps between the yeast slurry and wort I think you are good. I think it's more important that those two are close, even if it's slightly elevated

Even if you didn't do a starter, getting the yeast started at higher temps for a few hours probably got it going faster. I doubt any fusels or ester was generated. The yeast was probably taking in oxygen for a while.

Question about your mash process and your tight hold on the temperature... do you stir at intervals during the hour or two, - or - do you dough in stir well, cover and wait it out for the whole mash.

Question about your mash process and your tight hold on the temperature... do you stir at intervals during the hour or two, - or - do you dough in stir well, cover and wait it out for the whole mash.

I just dough in and stir very thoroughly to make sure all clumps are dissolved and all of the grist absorbs water. I don't stir after that until I add about a gallon of 180 degree water for a kind of mash-out. I don't like to keep opening my mashtun because I fear it will release heat every time. I went about 12 degrees hotter on my strike water this Time to insure that the cooler/ mashtun absorbed enough heat.
I hope you are right about the off flavors. Time will tell.
Oh, and I added some very hot water to the mashtun and let it sit for about 10 minutes before draining and adding the strike water.

Sounds great to me! I'm glad it went so well for your first time back. When things go that well for me, I'm always suspicious that I'm missing something big!

That's usually when I realize I pitched without sanitizing my fermenter... which was just full of raw wort.

I hope you are right about the off flavors. Time will tell.

Oh BTW I fixed my grammar above.... can't believe I texted that sober.

Must have been too late....

I was attempting to say wort temp and yeast slurry should be close in temp when pitched. Also thinking slightly high for a short time is not bad.

The beer has been kegged for two weeks now and it is tasting pretty good. I don't think it would win any awards but it is quite drinkable. The very warm fermentation temp didn't seem to hurt it too much. It could be though that I just don't know what I am tasting. Everyone here has become so much more sophisticated with their brewing that my beer would be pretty bad compared. Well, for now the beer tasted pretty good to me and maybe someday I can afford to have the brewery that I've always wanted. Brewing an OK beer is better than not brewing at all.

I've decided to take some of you guys advice and brew smaller batches (2 1/2 to 3 gallons). That way, I can brew all grain and avoid the cost of the malt extract. Plus I can brew more often! :ban:

I've decided to take some of you guys advice and brew smaller batches (2 1/2 to 3 gallons). That way, I can brew all grain and avoid the cost of the malt extract. Plus I can brew more often! :ban:

<Thumbs up!>

I like this plan. I tried it a while back and just decided that I didn't have the time to spend to do it. It takes pretty much the same amount of time for a smaller batch and you get less.

But if you have plenty of time and the interest to try more styles and methods, it's a great way to accomplish both.

Back