I think I started lagering too soon. Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flananuts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I pressure ferment and usually have no issues with stuck fermentations but here I am with one. I started dropping temperature on a wyeast Bavarian black lager yeast at 1.025-6 from 48 down to 36 one day per degree. I pulled a sample one week later, debased the sample and no movement. I then turned off my fridge and let the temp rise which went up to 62 pretty quickly. I think it came down a bit but not sure. My question is if it is stuck at 1.024ish can I pull a yeast sample, build a starter and pitch krausen beer to finish the beer which need to drop one more point?

Thanks.

Are you wondering why it didn't keep falling beyond 25 points after you cooled it to 36? It won't keep going when you chill it that much. I usually do a d rest after my lager fermentations just to be sure that the yeast is done and that it will clean things up. You might want to try rousing the yeast a little and warming it up to 60F or so for a few days, then resume lagering

What recipe did you use?

I agree with nebben. I do a d-rest at around 60 for a few days after about 80% of the fermentation is complete, based on gravity readings.

How much yeast did you pitch initially? What about mashing style/temps/times?

If it is something you've done in the past, assuming all other things being equal, I would lean towards the yeast being the problem.

I pitched a huge starter, mash temp was 151, and the only difference this time was I started temp drop before my FG was reached. I'm confident the temp rise will fix this. Thanks for your inputs.

So I ramped it up to try and finish this beer off but unfortunately it never dried out to the target 1.015. So it's in the kegerator and it tastes great, just a touch sweeter than planned. I'm wondering if I ended up converting more unfermentables than planned. The yeast was recycled from a previous lager that I created the starter from.

Back