I think I made a sour beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Reaction score
I was actually aiming for a Redhook Longhammer clone and had some fermentation trouble - mashed way too hot so had some unfermentable sugars in there - the FG was 1.030 and I decided to dry hop as it wasn't budging over the weekend.

I went to transfer to 2ndary and tasted some on the way out of the FV and it was sour, but in a really moorish nice way. I then later realised during the racking that there were huge chunks of mould floating amongst the hops.

I managed to rack to secondary without getting any of the mould in. Is it alright to drink or should I chuck it? I don't know anything about sour beers other than they do leave the fermenters open to attract wild yeast, but does the yeast need to be specific? I thought it was nice and my dad said it's "rather quaffable".

As long is it made it over like 2% alcohol nothing that can hurt you can grow in it. If it tastes good you should drink it

I need to read up about sour beers, but before the bacteria invited itself to the fermentation party my beer was just under 4%. Would this other bacteria turn sugar to alcohol as well as the yeast?

Latest posts

Back