I Think I Like My IPAs Extra Dry!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhamilton

Reaction score
So due to a lack of information regarding refractometers, I ended up adding enzyme to a 1.082/1.020 IPA (tweaked AHS Anniversary IPA Kit) which took it down to 1.008. I tapped it this week and I must say, I think that dry or extra dry IPAs are going to be my favorite personal brews now.

The extra 2% ABV is definitely appreciated but I think the crisp dryness along with the strong hop flavor really pair well together, especially with the summer heat kicking in. The crispness is also great with spicy or greasy food since it really refreshes the palate. I thought I would miss the malt profile but the hops really shine.

Anyone else like their beers dry or extra dry? What other styles do you think would work well with a really low FG?

What enzyme did you add that dropped it that low? So it was stuck at 1.020 you added the enzme and it kept fermenting to 1.008?

I prefer a crisp dry beer for my lighter beers for ipa lowest I ever had was 1.015

I used a refractometer to measure the FG which of course came back wrong @ ~1.030 so I thought it was stuck, panicked, and added amylase after rousing the yeast failed.

Turns out the gravity was fine the while time, but and amylase took it down to 1.008. I think I'd like it a little more in the 1.010-1.015 range but still dryer than normal.

I like 'em pretty dry too, I think 1.011-12 is perfect. Just tried to re-brew my favorite IPA, shooting for about that, but somehow it went too far and I got 1.008. Tastes a bit too thin/watery for me right now, but I'll give it more time in the bottle and see. Seems there's a lot of difference between 1.008 and 1.011!

Ya I'm a big fan of dry IPAs as well.

Alternatively, after fermentation you can feed your carboy raw sugar to not only dry it out but raise the ABV, pretty much win win, until you kill your yeast anyways. LOL

fyi - that is not stuck. it was at 75% aa... but for the title of the thread, i totally agree - one of my favorite styles is an IPA but i don't like sweet ones. dry, crisp and hoppy please.

Back