I think I just ruined my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullenium

Reaction score
I started my first batch of mead tonight and used essential oils in the primary which I hope didn't screw it up.

My wife sells doTERRA oils and I figured cinnamon, wild orange and clove would go well in a wintertime mead.

I used 20 drops of cinnamon, 10 of wild orange and 5 of clove. Usually one to two drops of cinnamon is good in a cup of hot water as a drink, so initially I thought 20 drops in a 5 gallon batch won't be too much, but...

now im thinking though if the essential oils might kill the yeast? I should have just added after fermentation but now it's too late.

My recipe was no boil with 13.5lbs of honey, a capsule of servomyces (yeast nutrient) , 3 gallons of spring water and 1 gallon distilled water.

I then added the oils, stirred the heck out of the carboy, then pitched 2 smack packs of wyeast sweet mead

Thoughts?:(

It is not ruined. All natural essential oils are just highly volatile concentrates of oils within plants. The few times I experimented with essential oils and from my educated guess they should not kill the yeast.

I will say that in your recipe it is a little nutrient light IMO. Servomyces is basically dead yeast with a little added zinc. I would probably add another capsule after 24 hours and possible a hand full of raisins if you have some.

I would probably add another capsule after 24 hours and possible a hand full of raisins if you have some.

Thanks for the tip.

I had the carboy sitting on one of the heater vents in the house overnight to ramp up the warmth and kick start the yeast., hoping with a fast start theyd out compete the oil's in there.. I woke up this morning with the thermo sticker on the carboy maxed out at 78 degrees and a small krausen forming on the top of the thick honey layer at the bottom of the carboy, and a small karusen forming on the top of the water (coincidentally where the essential oil stays since it doesnt mix well with water) so it looks like maybe the yeast kicked the oil's ass and is taking over at this point.

Whew!

Jut look out for fermenting too hot. It will give the yeast a boost, but produce more "hot" fussel Alcohols. I would recommend upping the nutrients and aerating.

Jut look out for fermenting too hot. It will give the yeast a boost, but produce more "hot" fussel Alcohols. I would recommend upping the nutrients and aerating.

the only way I can aerate is by swirling the carboy around with the airlock off, I dont have a fish tank pump and shaking around a 5 gal carboy would be a nightmare lol

also I plan to remove the carboy off the heater vent today when i get home on on my lunch break

Aerating is easy. Even if you get a stick in there, sanitized of course, and swirl it around it will be better than nothing. Might be a thought to aerate in a tub or shower or something though, I have
Seen pictures of a few too many mead geysers not to be a little careful when aerating.

Latest posts

Back