I screwed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackInk

Reaction score
I had a gallon of hard cider I was playing with and grabbed organic cinnamon oil (for baking) instead of organic cinnamon extract (alcohol based). They're the same damn bottle except one says "alcohol free". Saw the "alcohol" and didn't look close enough.

Well, long story...long... I didn't notice my mistake until I saw the oil slick on the cider.

So any options? Is there anything that would absorb the oil off the top? Should I just throw it in a couple of milk jugs and try some applejack?

Well, the oil is going to more of a problem with beer, where it can kill the head. With cider it might not seem as bad, but then I don't think it will disperse into the cider like an extract will.

You might try skimming or soaking up what you can and tasting it.

Racked it into a bottling bucket. Going to let it settle this afternoon and put it into two 1L swing tops.

Might applejack the rest. Someone check my thinking. The oil won't freeze and with the higher alcohol % it should emulsify, or at least infuse, into the applejack. Boom! Cinnamon applejack.

You don't mention if you made a high ABV cider or not so here goes... 6% of 64 is 3.84. So you have 3.84 ounces of pure alcohol left in your jug with a non-fortified cider, so if you are lucky you might collect one 12 oz bottle, and it would still be worth aging, but it won't be the panty-dropper applejack we all know and love.

Sorry, Dave's Dreaded calculator puts it at 9.2%. And I'm not doing the full gallon...about half. I've never done applejack so I figured I'd try it. I'm not expecting more than a sip or two. I'm interested to see how much cinnamon flavor there is.

In that case you have 5.88 ounces of pure alcohol available, so you will get more than a sip or two for sure. The oil may wash out with the alcohol and it may not, keep us posted, will you?

So I added 6 more liters to this, froze, drained, got distracted, drained too much, refroze what I had drained, drained again.

Holy crap this is some good stuff! The cinnamon flavor is definitely there but no oil slick and frankly it just the right amount. Out of 8 liters, I ended up with just over two liters.

Taking a liter to the tailgate this weekend. Don't expect it to last long!

Latest posts

Back