I Really am Snob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday, I took the train for a 4 hour trip to Iowa, to pick up my 94-year-old father-in-law, who I am driving back to Chicago today where he will stay with us for five days and four nights. I really do love him, but this morning confirmed how much of a snob I am - I'm stuck drinking instant coffee with 2% milk, and I really hate it. I mean, I really hate it.

Thanks for listening to my whining.

I'm with ya, as I sit here sipping a monster espresso roast brew this morning. Our hotel in Germany this summer had some instant Nescafe packets which weren't too bad (when doubled up) but yeah, most instant coffee tastes like metallic sawdust to me.

* pinky finger smugly raised high

Maybe you’re a snob, maybe not.
I’m not a snob, I’m just picky. I don’t drink bad coffee or beer. If someone likes bad coffee and beer, they can have it. I don’t judge too much. But it does make me wonder.
Whine on brother.

..instant coffee with 2% milk...

Reading this part made me want to take another shower. It's funny how stepping out of a daily routine can make one feel snobbish about little things like coffee. I'm that way about eating off paper plates, and if its atop a plastic tablecloth I have to fight the urge to just stand up and walk away.

Last edited:
Perhaps it's a generational thing. My 92-year-old mother-in-law loves instant coffee. My dad, who would be 94, would drink Folger's from a drip machine, which isn't much better. I sometimes see olds reaching for the Taster's Choice in the grocery coffee aisle.

Maybe growing up during the Depression made that gen appreciate simple things. Me, it's pressed coffee or espresso at home, or GTFO. I must be a snob, too. ;)

Sounds like OP's being polite, thinking of another before himself and not doing his own thing to make the in-law comfortable?

Coffee: I do beans from Costco, espresso setting grind, and in the Bialetti and then with hand-whisked milk for foam. I wouldn't accept any less. Snob? Discerning? I don't know.

Perhaps it's a generational thing. My 92-year-old mother-in-law loves instant coffee. My dad, who would be 94, would drink Folger's from a drip machine, which isn't much better. I sometimes see olds reaching for the Taster's Choice in the grocery coffee aisle.

Maybe growing up during the Depression made that gen appreciate simple things. Me, it's pressed coffee or espresso at home, or GTFO. I must be a snob, too. ;)

If they could drink chicory coffee, which is Satan's anus, then the instant stuff is probably great. Chicory was used to augment coffee during the depression when the supply of coffee beans was low.

Maybe growing up during the Depression made that gen appreciate simple things.

In Germany, Ersatzkaffee or coffee substitute is still popular with older folks. It was used as a coffee replacement when supplies were cut off in times of war, when any coffee that could be imported went to the military. One type called Malzkaffee is made from dark roasted cereal grains which would develop the familiar coffee-like flavors just like dark roasted malts used for beer brewing.

I'm with ya, as I sit here sipping a monster espresso roast brew this morning. Our hotel in Germany this summer had some instant Nescafe packets which weren't too bad (when doubled up) but yeah, most instant coffee tastes like metallic sawdust to me.

* pinky finger smugly raised high
Holy crap...i was in UK a few weeks back and they had instant Nescafé packets. I remember taking that first sip and telling myself be prepared for the taste of warm a$$.
Hey..
...it’s not great....
But...
....i can drink this for a week. :)

Instant coffee in Europe is not Folgers freeze dried crystals of a$$....

Single serving pkgs give me the heebie jeebies. Must be something from my childhood. Using a kuerig is tin-foil-chomping to me. Koffee isn't too bad though.
I hear ya and I’m not tossing out my Kuerig but if you have to drink instant then go for those Nescafé packets.

Folgers freeze dried crystals are great for worm food

we used to damn near fight each other for the instant coffee packets out of MRE's when working wildfires. On more than one occasion I've either eaten, or put the grinds in my lip like chewing tobacco to start the day. Ever since I hung up my boots I wouldn't consider myself a snob, but, if its not cold brewed I want nothing to do with it. After 10 years hiking through fires I have learned to lament hot/warm drinks (and weather for that matter). any brand, black or tan as long as its cold!

Plopped down $1,400 for a Jura ena micro 90. So long as we feed her halfway decent beans, we get full, rich espresso with a proper crema, every time, every morning. Its like waking up to an italian supermodel only she never laughs at my schmeckle.

we use a moccamaster drip, which makes lovely soft coffee, it helps that local water is so good.

as for beans, our morning drink is lidl's bellarom extra dark espresso, for evening i'm currently going through a selection of beans from a belgian brewer that has on-site coffeeburners for their coffee-beers.

Back home and now my FIL has to put up with our coffee drinking habits - which is a locally roasted, fresh ground French roast.

Haha, snob here too. I might not have drank it other than to be polite and most the coffee described here is not my cup of tea either. I have noticed that despite some being over roasted, the k cup does infact seal the coffee in. This provides some freshness. I might drink a k cup on a ski morning with fil. That said I chug rockstars and prefer diet coke.

Last edited:
Chicory coffee is alive and well in New Orleans.
Love the place - food and music, but they don't know beans (pun intended) about coffee. Stuff tastes like bog slime.

Coffee and chicory blends are great! Love it!

We keep getting these vendor branded coffees at work. Some are okay. Some are terrible. We've a morning blend now. More like mourning blend. I've to remember to bring in my own.

i've gotten used to the k-cups at home for the convenience. Better than the drip coffee I usually drink at work or hotels. But so far I only like Starbucks Pike Place and Peets Major Dickenson. I buy in bulk and get them at about $0.63/cup delivered from Amazon or Starbucks direct. Amazon talked me into trying their new house brand at about $32 for 100 cups and I am so happy to be done with stuff. Was extremely light flavored, you could see the bottom of your cup...not nasty but just not coffee either.

People like what they like.

I suspect some of the like of instant coffee descends either from veterans of WWII and the Korean conflict, where that's the coffee they got.

Much like how Bud Light drinkers prefer what they grew up on. :)

I generally dislike using half-and-half in my coffee; I don't like the greasiness that it creates. And for all you 2%-haters out there--you can take a hike. That's my preferred coffee additive.

But then again....I like what I like.

Man I love a good cup of coffee. I have a nice machine that makes what ever I tell it to make and I love it!

I used to travel through Asia and Europe a lot and hated...HATED the coffee in the rooms. Especially Asia. Stick to tea.

And for all you who put “adjuncts” in your coffee you should also drink Bud Light because you have no taste! [emoji1]

Two Costco Bold K cups every morning. Better than 7-11 and DD....never been to Starbucks...never plan to either

The "San Francisco Bay" K-cups from Costco are pretty good. They use a different filter and it seems to me to let a little more "coffee" flavor through... And since they're not "true" K-cups paying a royalty to Keurig, they're a little less expensive too.

Starbucks drip coffee is really inconsistent. Sometimes it's good, often times it's terrible.

The "San Francisco Bay" K-cups from Costco are pretty good. They use a different filter and it seems to me to let a little more "coffee" flavor through... And since they're not "true" K-cups paying a royalty to Keurig, they're a little less expensive too.

Starbucks drip coffee is really inconsistent. Sometimes it's good, often times it's terrible.
I havent seen those. Do they fit in a regular Keurig machine? I Thought the patent ran out on the K cups and and just because everyone calls them that there really made by whoever now?
I've never seen K cups at Costco cheaper than the Kirkland brand

my experience with this coffee was different and less enjoyable.

Drinking coffee with family is good . Wait till you start roasting your own..that is when you become the snob..I also have a 90 inlaw and life is good.She likes the pizza,not the beer , likes the wine ,not the mead..

Back