I ran out of time! aka brew....pause.....brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokebucket

Reaction score
So, I mis-planned my day and I have a hard time commitment. I was able to get thru the mash and thought I had enough time to finish the boil before I had to leave....in which case, i could just chill while I was out, but I missed...enough said.

Soooo, I went ahead and brought the wort up to a boil, got the hot break, then stopped. I figured this way the mash is halted, and I got a good hot break. After I get home this evening, I will just proceed with my boil.

Obviously, this has already happened. So the question is, has anybody ever done something similar? Turn out ok?

I figure from here on out, I am doing an extract batch

Should be fine. You've effectively mashed out. Just restart your boil add your hops and away you go. There are no issues with sanitation, so no worries.
P

I did but my time was cut off by an emergency that was obviously unplanned. I had added all but one hop addition (20 min left of the boil) but with BIAB issues, an possible leaching of something, I just dumped the batch. Bought the ingredients again, re-brewed, and did fine.

You, on the other hand, will be just fine.

You should be fine- if you leave it for too long, you can get bacteria that will sour the wort, especially if it's at lower temps, but by bringing to a boil, you effectively sanitized the wort, especially for the short time before you started it up again.

Latest posts

Back