I need to know if this is true.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randolf

Reaction score
I brew 2 gallon extract batches,for convienence,and was wondering how long hops keep their integrity after being opened from their seal packaging.The guy at the LHBS told me that they start degrading as soon as they hit the air.I have probably 20 little zip-loc bags full of various types of hops,all refridgerated and store in a plastic container,some for as long as 6 months.Some only 2 months.Should I throw them away,or can I still use them? Many thanx in advance........Randolf

I brew 2 gallon extract batches,for convienence,and was wondering how long hops keep their integrity after being opened from their seal packaging.The guy at the LHBS told me that they start degrading as soon as they hit the air.I have probably 20 little zip-loc bags full of various types of hops,all refridgerated and store in a plastic container,some for as long as 6 months.Some only 2 months.Should I throw them away,or can I still use them? Many thanx in advance........Randolf

If you reseal them, and store them in the freezer, they will last a long time. In the fridge without being sealed, they will last a much shorter period. One way to tell if they are still good is to look at them, and smell them. They should be very green, and not browning and they should smell fresh and aromatic.

I have a food saver, and store quantities of hops resealed in the freezer, sometimes for years. If you can possibly squeeze out the air, seal them tightly, and stick them in the fridge, they'll last a lot longer for you.

This isn't really a yes or no question.

Hops begin degrading the second they are picked. (like any other fresh vegetable) Reactions with oxygen destroy hops. Even if a vacuum sealed package, there is some oxygen and the hops slowly degrade. Those oxidizing reactions also go faster at higher temps. To keep them fresh longest, keep the exposure to oxygen to a minimum and keep them as cold as possible. The better you do those 2 things, the longer they will last.

Good color, good smell = good hops. Eventually (like any other vegetable) they will decline in quality and make for a lesser quality beer.

I had a half-opened package of Centennial in the freezer one time. When I took it out to use it I smelled it and it smelled a bit like cheese. Def not the citrus hoppy aroma I was used to. Tossed them.

Frankly, I'd smell what you have and keep only the ones you like the smell of. Use them quickly no matter what. Hops are too cheap to risk ruining a batch of beer over. IMO

Back