I need some quick input please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I'm brewing today and discovered a problem. I was making a stout, but realized this morning that the brewstore had omitted roasted barley from my order when my fiance picked it up yeasterday. Now, it's sunday and all brew stores are closed.

I'm stuck with:

5 lbs 2 row pale malt
.25 lbs acid malt
1 lb flaked barley
1 pound lactose
3 ounces east kent golding hops
And nottingham dry yeast

Does anybody have suggestions on how i can salvage this recipe? Possibly just settle for a very very light ale.

Need the input in the next 3 hours. Thanks alot!

I would wait. 6 1/4 lb. grain is going to make beer water.
If you can put off the brew for a few days you will be the better for it. Unless you like really low ABV ultra lite ale.:)
Course I guess you could make a 3gallon batch and use BrewSmith etc. to convert mash/sparge water.

There are certainly more here that know more than me, but IMO - no.
Like I say you only have 6 1/4 lbs. here.
If the grains are fresh you got some time.

I have no other ingredients. The recipe was for a simple low abv stout. But without roasted barley it's just a watery concoction. It's for 5 gallons. Its was supposed to have 1.5 roasted barley

Roasted is the key word here, even above barley. Do have any other grains you roast in your oven? It is doable, in an emergency.

Oh, sorry....no other ingredients. I missed that while I was panicking for you.

Latest posts

Back