I need some help with something

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingerpower12

Reaction score
Hey I need help finding a recipe useing wheatberrie I have 2 pounds I just came a cross and was like I think I brew this in a beer so I am ask as a new brew can I use this or is it a waste of time to find a recipe
Thanks
Gingerpower

You can use them in anything as long as they are cooked like porridge and you have enough enzyme activity to convert the starch. They will add a silky mouthfeel and head retention to stout, porters, or whatever. You could use them in a wheat beer, or a sour or Saison. Just keep in mind that since they are not malted you will need to cook them to gelatinize the starch.

Well, let's start with a quick question: what is wheatberrie? My Google search returned many results for 'wheat berry' so I'm going to assume that's what you mean. I'm also going to assume that it's unmalted. So basically it's a wheat kernel without the hull, so you should be able to use it just like any other grain. You just need to take into consideration that since it's unmalted you either need to limit the percentage of your grist that is wheat berry, use a generous amount of rice hulls or do a cereal mash to reduce the likelihood of a stuck sparge. I would search the recipe database for a wheat beer that you like and replace some of the wheat in the recipe with your wheat berry. Hope that helps. Cheers!

EDIT: BB beat me to the punch

So how long do I cook it for
And after I cook it do I dry the make it the beer or can I just make the beer

Gingerpower12 said:
So how long do I cook it for
And after I cook it do I dry the make it the beer or can I just make the beer

Hold on cowboy, what kind of beer are you making and what is your process?

So I am a new brew and I like to make a wheat beer so I have wheat berries can I use this

Gingerpower12 said:
So I am a new brew and I like to make a wheat beer so I have wheat berries can I use this

Have you made any beer at all? Those wheat berries are not going to make beer. They can be used as an adjunct in an all grain brew, but they would really have no purpose in an extract brew under most conditions. We can definitely help you to make a honey wheat beer if that is what you are trying to do though. What equipment do you have?

I have to go buy the turkey fry combo at Walmart come with a 30qt pot an a propane stand and I know that wheatberrie by it self can't make beer I know that I was just wondering what is a good recipe to use this or do I sub it with the wheat do I do that I have two pounds of whatberrie
I have pickle buckets that I got from work wash bleach an air out not pickle small

Gingerpower12 said:
I have to go buy the turkey fry combo at Walmart come with a 30qt pot an a propane stand and I know that wheatberrie by it self can't make beer I know that I was just wondering what is a good recipe to use this or do I sub it with the wheat do I do that I have two pounds of whatberrie
I have pickle buckets that I got from work wash bleach an air out not pickle small

For the wheat berries to be any good you'll need to mash them with grains. That means you'll need to familiarize yourself with the basics of all grains brewing. I recommend you just hang out on the forum for awhile and find what information you can on the brewing process before you determine what route you want to go and what equipment you'll need. You can get by with a 7.5 gallon pot and some pickle buckets if you are doing extract or smaller BIAB all grain batches. You may want to start with BIAB it sounds like. Search that, and find the basics. Brewing is not hard, but there is quite a bit you need to know to avoid making crappy beer. Feel free to ask any questions you need.

Ok I can hold on so
So doing a brew day what do I start with on doing
How do I start with
I do have a kit all ready
Went to a local brew place bilud kit
I really want to get this right
I really like this place I get good info
I thank u for help me

Let's just forget about those wheat berries for a minute. They only cost $3 anyway. You've decided you want to brew your own beer, so you've got the first step taken care of. You'll want to be sure your first batch is a success, so that you are encouraged to make more beer. Tell us about the kit that you bought. Is it an extract kit? An extract kit will have bags of powdered DME (dried malt extract) or else either cans or pouches of LME (liquid malt extract). There will also usually be hops, possibly a small amount of grain, and you will definitely need yeast. There will be instructions that came with the kit, but lets forget about those. They can get really bad. Lets start there.

So it is dried malt,hops,wheat,liquid yeast that the kit I went to the local brew told what I want to brew the dude was real cool help with a recipe
I just need help on starte to brew what to steep how long all that stuff thanks for help me

Back