I need help spending $9

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikePote

Reaction score
That's right I need to spend $9. Im a newbie (first batch in the fermenter) and was going to order a couple extract kits from morebeer.com. They have what looks to be a good bang for your buck kits for +/- $25. I intend on buying two of these inexpensive kits but need to spend another $9 to get the free shipping. So in lies the conundrum. So far my equipment consists of a $120 starter kit and cheap pot. So in everybody's opinion what would get me the most use out of my measly $9. I could splurge and spend a few more dollars (literally) but not much. Thanks for the input.

Depending on what kits your getting, you could get a couple extra ounces of hops to add some extra hop flavor/aroma.

Depending on how much extra you have to spend, I'd say one of the following items, all around $20: bottle tree, vinator, any book on brewing.

Auto siphon if you don't already have one, extra hydrometer, extra caps, there's just so much stuff.

extra hydrometer is always a good idea to have just in case

Yep! An extra hydrometer, because if one breaks, you have another. Of course, now that I have two I haven't broken one in 5 years! :D

Also, extra airlocks. They are about $1 or so, but I swear they go missing or break and then you find yourself with every piece of equipment, but lacking airlocks.

And always, but always(!) have at least two packages of dry yeast in the fridge. So5 for US beers, S04 for British styles. It may save a batch, and will never go to waste because you'll use it sometime.

Love the answers! Thanks everybody. Pretty much everybody has suggested an extra hydrometer. Is this because of breakage? I don't know when I would need two except for having one as a backup. Also, when might extra yeast come in handy? Maybe when I become a big boy and do all grain? I thought maybe I would put $9 in my IRA and do something useful with it but what could me more useful than beer. Thanks again.

Spend a little extra and get another recipe kit. You WILL be surprised how fast the beer will disappear.

And be extra careful with your hydrometer if you don't spring for a backup.

Ok I'm +whatever to another hydrometer, you can always use another because when you least expect it it gets broken. My 6 year old assistant broke one helping me one day, glad I had the second in the drawer.

The extra yeast is for big beers or one of those " oh crap" moments when your airlock doesn't start bubbling after 24 hours. Not a matter of if, but when.

I'd suggest a 5 lb bag of dextrose. It's great for boosting alcohol and other things than just Bottling. A bag of light DME should always be on hand as well...

I don't really care much how you spend your money, but I'd not be buying spares of things when there are things you don't have that you need...like yeast nutrient and whirlfloc ;)

I've never broken my hydrometer. I've broken the measuring tube it goes in, though.

I'd spend the money on an autosiphon. It makes transferring SUPER easy.

Is this the new "What can I get for 30 cents?" while standing next to the ice cream truck?

tumblr_londhuYjH91qztjn5o1_500.jpg

I have the auto siphon. Will probably go with an extra hydrometer, I have three kids under three so it will eventually get broken, and some extra dry yeast. Probably another ale pale as well. I think it took about 3 days before I wanted to do another batch but only one fermenting vessel. Thanks for all the advise!

I have the auto siphon. Will probably go with an extra hydrometer, I have three kids under three so it will eventually get broken, and some extra dry yeast. Probably another ale pale as well. I think it took about 3 days before I wanted to do another batch but only one fermenting vessel. Thanks for all the advise!

When you go back to buy yeast nutrient and whirlfloc remember that guy on HBT....you're going to buy them anyway, but your first couple of batches won't benefit from them now...maybe that backup hydrometer will help your yeast take off. :p

Just BB...GL to ya.

Bwahaha. Welcome to the s/obsession/hobby/g. FWIW, I've never broken a hydrometer but they're not always calibrated right - make sure you test yours in distilled water and mark how much it's off by.

Yooper's suggestion of extra yeast should be mandatory. There are LOTS of yeast-related uh-ohs that can be fixed instantly if you have extra.

I think it came down to the mocking post but jbay you have convinced me. The final order was 2 extract kits, 100 caps, whirlfloc, 2oz DAP, extra airlock, and US-05 dry pack. Total $63.36. Thanks again for all the help.

I think it came down to the mocking post but jbay you have convinced me. The final order was 2 extract kits, 100 caps, whirlfloc, 2oz DAP, extra airlock, and US-05 dry pack. Total $63.36. Thanks again for all the help.

Woohooo! FWIW, that's the most time and energy I put into a 6 dollar purchase ever. ;)

GL to ya. Brew on!

Edit: I just want to reassure you that was the mocking of the good nature sort..."BB" means bustin' ballz. Of course there was no offense intended. I think you took it in the way it was intended, but sometimes stuff gets lost in translation on the interwebz.

By far the most effort I have put into a $6 purchase in my life as well. It was enjoyable though. Also I don't think I have ever been offended in my life. Feel free to bust balls. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back