I need help, another noob making cider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyeBrewer

Reaction score
Hello all. I made some apple cider a few weeks ago, a basic recipe. I had no clue what I was doing so I let the yeast ferment out and I basically got a very very strong alcohol taste. I used champaign yeast and made some mighty dry strong cider. Anyway I kept going with it and racked it twice and got a pretty decent end product. I then back sweetened it and got a very potent and quite tasty apple wine like drink. So I the. Bottled it and corked it, hoping to carbonate it. However after four days of carbonation I noticed its starting to cloudy. So I popped.a bottle and it still taste good but it's cloudy and I'm worried its on its way to going vining at or sour. Please help!!!

Was it completely clarified before you bottled? Also, did you use proper sanitation?

It was very clear when I bottled it. And sanitization is my number 1 priority. My fear however, is that when I corked I didn't boil them. I just soaked them for a few hours and corked it. The more I think about it this is where my mistake was. Is my batch ruined? Like is said it tasted ok still. But I fear its gonna get bad.

Well, to be honest, I have no clue what to do at this point.

My opinion on this is that if you didn't experience any off flavors whatsoever, you should be okay, but I am by no means a cider expert. You could always uncork back into a secondary and watch it for a while before you bottle it back up. Maybe you just had a stuck fermentation and it started back up when you bottled.

That may be true, however when I uncorked it it had very little if any pressure. Which tells me it's not fermenting. I suppose ill just leave it for a couple days and see. If it gets extremely cloudy ill know its contaminated for sure right?

Back