I need an easy store hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigskygreg

Reaction score
Need a 20-25 ft hose to connect to my immersion chiller. I would like it to be easy to store as I am limited on space for brew equipment. I've looked at some of the coiled options, but fear they may pull to much against my chiller. Anyone have any luck with this situation? I could get a regular garden hose, but those are a pita to store and move around. Maybe I shod get a length of vinyl tubing with connectors?
Thoughts?

Have you considered the "miracle" garden hoses that expand under pressure, and coil back when the pressure is gone, or was that what you meant by coiled options?

MindenMan said:
Have you considered the "miracle" garden hoses that expand under pressure, and coil back when the pressure is gone, or was that what you meant by coiled options?

I guess I'm thinking if it's 25 ft coiled, it won't comfortably reach my chiller since I need a real 20-25 ft.

I know this is a silly question in some ways, but I really want to improve my chilling process, and unfortunately my kitchen sink faucet is really weird without a faucet adapter option, so I have to use my utility sink which is 1 room over from my stove/brew burner 😃

I guess I'm thinking if it's 25 ft coiled, it won't comfortably reach my chiller since I need a real 20-25 ft.

I know this is a silly question in some ways, but I really want to improve my chilling process, and unfortunately my kitchen sink faucet is really weird without a faucet adapter option, so I have to use my utility sink which is 1 room over from my stove/brew burner 😃

What kind of faucet do you have? I've yet to find a faucet I couldn't suggest an adapter for. I work at a LHBS at get people with this problem all the time. You could be the first to stump me. Post a picture of the faucet and maybe we can help you out...

Gitmoe said:
What kind of faucet do you have? I've yet to find a faucet I couldn't suggest an adapter for. I work at a LHBS at get people with this problem all the time. You could be the first to stump me. Post a picture of the faucet and maybe we can help you out...

It's a grohe. Pull out faucet.

image-264226595.jpg

This is great timing. We just installed that same faucet and I was wondering how the heck I was going to attach a hose. I have a boatload of different adapters and none of them fit properly.

How about a piece of polyvinyl tubing to fit over what's in your hand.. with a hose clamp.. just have to be careful of the o-ring. You may have to adapt the other end of it to fit the chiller.. but, that should be easy.

Oh, and those retractable hoses.. everything I've read about them on the RV forums say they are junk.. the hose holds up but the fittings don't.

However, I bought one like THIS years ago and it's still working well in my RV when I need more length. Possibly the fittings are better quality from back then.. but the hose works very well and stores compactly.. Only problem is you have to roll out the full 50' for it to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't there a cold water faucet in the cabinet under your sink that your sink faucet is connected to?
A standard garden hose type fitting should connect to that.

This is great timing. We just installed that same faucet and I was wondering how the heck I was going to attach a hose. I have a boatload of different adapters and none of them fit properly.

Have you tried a 1/2" NPT to barb fitting?

I have a similar spray faucet, different brand, and after removing the head, the leftover hose connector fits 1/2" NPT thread. Maybe I'm lucky?

Any homebrew or hardware store sells faucet adapters. Unless it's a proprietary thread, I bet that threaded sleeve will screw right onto the adapter to give you garden hose thread.

Also, I think the miracle hose is not a coiled hose, but one that collapses when the pressure goes away. You can wad it up in a little ball and put it in a drawer.

I used to store it in my bottling bucket, with my capper and all my other supplies. Just get a skinny hose

mpcluever said:
Any homebrew or hardware store sells faucet adapters. Unless it's a proprietary thread, I bet that threaded sleeve will screw right onto the adapter to give you garden hose thread. Also, I think the miracle hose is not a coiled hose, but one that collapses when the pressure goes away. You can wad it up in a little ball and put it in a drawer.

I tried all of the adapters at menards and Home Depot. Even tried using multiple pieces. No luck. I'm going to call Grohe (manufacturer), otherwise, will just run a hose from the laundry room. I'll have to check out the miracle hose.

If there's an aerator in the head, these unscrew and take a standard 15/16" or 13/16" thread, which you can adapt to either a 3/4" garden hose, or a dishwasher type quick disconnect.

How about a piece of polyvinyl tubing to fit over what's in your hand.. with a hose clamp.. just have to be careful of the o-ring. You may have to adapt the other end of it to fit the chiller.. but, that should be easy....

This looks like the most simple solution. You can even use a short piece of that vinyl/rubber/silicone tubing to make a bridge to any other adapter.

The aerators are typically recessed in those spray heads and cannot accept an adapter.

The inner diameter on any adapter I've tried that might fit the threads is juuuuuuust a hair too small. The end of the hose (the metal bit with the gasket) won't fit inside. They won't go far enough on to even see if the threads are right.

There's no removable aerator in the head.

My neighbor two doors down is a plumber. I told him about our dilemma, and he just said, "yeah, good luck with that." I jokingly asked him about the likelihood of installing a faucet under the sink. After laughing a little too long for comfort, he asked me if he could buy some of the stuff I'm smoking. :D

There's a thread on hbt about making an adapter for that faucet. Not tough, works great. I'm on my phone and finding a link would be a pain, but just Google homebrewtalk grohe adapter

The inner diameter on any adapter I've tried that might fit the threads is juuuuuuust a hair too small. The end of the hose (the metal bit with the gasket) won't fit inside. They won't go far enough on to even see if the threads are right.

There's no removable aerator in the head.

My neighbor two doors down is a plumber. I told him about our dilemma, and he just said, "yeah, good luck with that." I jokingly asked him about the likelihood of installing a faucet under the sink. After laughing a little too long for comfort, he asked me if he could buy some of the stuff I'm smoking. :D

Certainly possible, and easy for even the for those with minimal DIY skills. This http://www.plumbingsupply.com/quick-tee-adapter.html adapter will give you a standard 1/4" or 3/8" compression thread available adding a second stop and any fittings you need to adapt your immersion chiller. Don't think HD or Lowes has it, but can be had at any plumbing supply house.

Back