I need a ski trip brew to please 4 people.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrman13

Reaction score
So in just over a month I'm going skiing/snowboarding with a few friends and thought it would be fun to brew a beer for the occasion. I'll certainly need something very drinkable as we most likely won't stop after just one or two. The trouble comes with the people that will be drinking it. The total will be one beer snob that will drink anything of decent quality (me) the IPA-loving and otherwise picky girlfriend, and then another couple who are Bud Light drinkers but are open to new things that aren't too beer-ey. Yeah, I know, it doesn't sound easy. I'm thinking about a bavarian wheat with some spices and honey. It could be very fulfilling taste-wise without sitting in the stomach and good after a long day on the slopes.

Does anyone else have any ideas that could please everyone and be ready to drink in a month?

Oh, and it will be kegged, so I could have it carbed in a week.

Definitely a peated barleywine. :D

You could always go with a blonde. I made an American wheat which turned out wonderfully. Crisp, and very drinkable (Tettnang hops FTW). It might just be me, but some people are on or off about German wheat beers. If you know your BMCers can handle some esters, then that might not be so bad either.

Blondes and wheats are summer beers, imo. Go with a mild or brown porter. My last brown porter was a .042 and was good at 3 weeks. Very drinkable for all types.

_

I've done that routine of trying to please a bunch of different beer drinker taste buds. In the end the best solution is to do a high quality beer that you love and sell them on it, or after you have a few forget about what they want and pull out a six pack of something commercial to keep them happy.

If you must, a nice crisp Pale Ale (Mirror Pond, Sierra Nevada, etc.) is usually a crowd pleaser.

Last year I took a keg of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde on my snowboarding trip. It was a big hit. Even the BMC drinkers liked it. Emptied that keg fairly quick. This year I'm taking a black ale (1554 clone).

Yeah...now that I think about it, a mild or brown would be better for the winter. I'll change my suggestion to that. If you keep it lighter the BMCers will like it. Most BMCers won't say no to a newcastle, and neither will I.

Last year I took a keg of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde on my snowboarding trip. It was a big hit. Even the BMC drinkers liked it. Emptied that keg fairly quick. This year I'm taking a black ale (1554 clone).

I would second BierMuncher's Blonde. Yes blonde is more of a summer beer but hot off the slopes you want a thirst-quencher.

Well the boy's were drinking Bush Lite and Natural Lite so I thought the Centennial Blonde was a good choice. I must have learned them something, the next year they brought cases of Sam Adams Noble Pils and were bragging about how good it was.

Back