I must have had very happy yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sch21c

Reaction score
I brewed a brown ale on Monday. Got it into the plastic fermenting bucket and pitched the yeast around 3PM Monday afternoon. I checked on the Monday evening and yesterday afternoon and didn't see any sign of activity. I know that the bubbler is not the best indication, but I've always seen something going on after 12-24 hours. No bubbling today either, so this evening I opened the fermentor and took a sample. 1.016! After 2 days! And damn it tasted pretty good too. :rockin:

I guess I'm just a little surprised that it's fermented almost all the way out in a bit more than two days. Beersmith is showing a target FG of 1.010.

For completeness of the story, I used Wyeast 1028, with a 1.1L starter (on a stir plate for about 27 hours), and pitched into oxygenated wort. Wort had an OG of 1.046.

Great to hear that but you must have a leak somewhere. :)

Mine went crazy in the last days. It fermented on the first bucket for 4 days and then I passed to the second fermenter. After almost a week of no activity at all, it started bubbling again :)

I had that happen before too. The gasket in the lid wasn't sealing well and I thought something was wrong because of lack of airlock bubbles. Finally figured it out like you by taking a SG reading. Got a new bucket and relegated the old one to a bottling bucket. :)

What was the temperature during fermentation? Hot temperatures will make the fermentation very fast but is not good for the flavors of the beer.

I pitch a proper starter and have had the fermentation start is as little as 3-4 hours. I have never taken a gravity reading in less than 2 weeks so I have no idea how fast my fermentations might have finished.

Leaky lid!

I've got a fermentation fridge, keeping it steady at 68F. I'm sure it was a leaky lid. It was a new bucket/lid I picked up from a LBHS I stopped in for the first time. I'll have to put some keg lube or something around the seal.

I've been thinking about moving to carboys for primary fermentation anyway. I want to see what's going on in there!

Back