I messed up.... My yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bohern

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not thinking I screwed up and made my yeast starter using my tap water with no treatment for chlorine or chloramine. I am using WL 001 yeast for a 1.3L starter to be used in a Porter. Should I toss it? would it still be OK? Or would I just be better served to use some US-05 instead?

I am warming my strike water as I write, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Interesting question. There should be little/no phenols in the (non POF+) yeast AFAIK, so nothing for chlorine to react with (yet). Maybe carefully compute the amount of K-Meta or Na-Meta needed to treat 1.3 liters, and add it to the starter. Just off the cuff here.

ETA: Personally, I would probably just go ahead and use the US-05 instead, which is very similar.

Last edited:
You'll be fine. I never treat starter water for anything. Straight out of the tap, DME, boil for 10 minutes. When it's cooled to room temp, dump the yeast in straight out of the refrigerator. I usualy do starters a week or two ahead of time to decant. If you are doing a same day vitality starter I would just dump it all in.

Yeah I always use tap water as well. I figure the overall volume of a decanted yeast slurry is pretty small compared to my correctly treated wort.

According to some science stuff I've read, if you boil water for approximately 20 minutes, it removes chlorine/chloramine. If you boiled less, there could still be some remaining. Like the others said, I doubt it would have a noticeable effect on the end product. And with the cost of liquid yeast, I'd use it.

Back