I messed it up. But I love the result!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjohn3006

Reaction score
I got a one gallon batch of Bomber Barley Wine from Northern brewer try.
I also got a 1 gallon wheat beer kit and did them side by side. These were the second and third beers I have ever brewed. I got 1 gallon kits to learn on. My first was a 5 gallon hazelnut brown that my friend helped guide me through and it is great!

Well when I got the wort chilled, I threw some in the refractometer and it only read 1.067 when it was supposed to be 1.085.

Oh well, nothing to do now. So I put it in a gallon carboy, and had a LOT left over. I pulled out a half gallon carboy and filled it and still had a little left over. :mad:

So I messed up and mad a 1 gallon batch into about a 1.6 gallon batch. I added way to much water and not as much boiled off as I expected. That would be like accidentally making a 5 gallon batch into an 8 gallon batch.

I tasted it at bottling and thought, hey, that is not bad. Came to 7.3% ABV
I tried one last night after 2 weeks of being in the bottle and it is delicious!!!

I would describe it as an amber IPA I guess? Beautiful dark honey amber color. You can taste the 7.3% and a sweet and thick mouth feel on the front before it punches you in the mouth with hops.

I will probably make this again on purpose. :ban:

Latest posts

Back