I may never make another cider again.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daze

Reaction score
... with out oats!!! I bottled my "creamy oat and caramel apple cider" today and it is so smooth and so creamy. I new the oats would add body and give a much better mouth feel but I never expected something this rich, luxurious, and smooth. This cider has as much, if not more body and creamy mouth feel than a dark beer. I could not be happier with the result!!!

Been looking for something that is "more" than just a cider....this sounds excellent! Im going to guess with the caramel in the name its more on the sweet side than dry?

Been looking for something that is "more" than just a cider....this sounds excellent! Im going to guess with the caramel in the name its more on the sweet side than dry?

It is 2/3 as sweet as unfermented apple juice so yes, on the sweet side. I tasted it before I added the caramel and other than being very tart it was still really good. If I was to make it dry, I would omit the carmel and cut the acid in half.

No, at least not based on this definition of caudle I found.

cau·dle (kôdl)
n.
A warm drink consisting of wine or ale mixed with sugar, eggs, bread, and various spices, sometimes given to ill persons.

This is fascinating. Have you looked into graff?

I looked in to what a graff is and I can totally see why you say that. As I understand it a graff is the love child of a bear and a cider, sounds interesting. To answer your question I used the oats because they impart the texture with out imparting any flavor. In fact I probably won't toast them next time. Originally I toasted them because I don't like oat flavor, but after tasting the cider I could not taste a hint of oat, so I am thinking why go through the extra step.

graff is the love child of a bear and a cider, sounds interesting.
By jove, you're on to something, you crazy, marvelous genius. But is the world ready for such a hybrid? :tank:

(Beer, bear, tomato, tomahto, bear cider is hardcore :rockin: )

Daze, since you toasted the oats to avoid the flavor, might there be concerns that the flavor will come through when you don't?

Daze, since you toasted the oats to avoid the flavor, might there be concerns that the flavor will come through when you don't?

I don't think so. I toasted the oats to improve the flavor not eliminate it. I like oats in apple crisp (toasted) but can not stand them as oatmeal goop (un toasted). Because of that I toasted them up to go for the better flavor. When I tasted my must before fermentation there was a slight hint of oat, but it was so mild that had I not known it was there I probably would not have been able to distinguish it as oat. After it fermented out the oat flavor was completely gone, it may come back with age, but I still think it will be so minimal that it really won't mater if the oats are toasted or not.

Latest posts

Back