I Love Overkill (4-5500W Element Control Panel)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

br1dge

Reaction score
I am in the early stages of moving to electric and like many people in this forum the more I get into it the more crazy ideas pop into my head and the more over the top my rig becomes. I am currently at the point where we brew 10-12G batches on a regular basis with a HERMS setup fueled by propane. Brew days are around 5.5 hrs and things flow pretty smoothly. Now that things are running good I want to start working on my next upgrade which will be switching over to Electric which I am hoping will allow me to cut some time off of my brew days.

So here is my thought which I havent seen a whole lot about on here. I saw BobbyM mention it a while back but havent been able to find any info on anyone that has actually completed it as I am thinking. So instead of having one Element mounted in each HLT and BK I would mount 2 elements in each running from my control panel. )My big system will be 42G Barrels for HLT and BK). There would have to be a safety feature that would allow only two of the elements to be running at any time so as not to overload the system. But if you could do this then you could run 2 simultaneously in HLT to heat strike water, then PID would maintain temps using one element. Once you get enough wort to cover your element in your BK you would turn one element on to begin heating towards boil. After second (and third if desired) runnings you would then be done with HLT and hit second element in BK to get to boil in a hurry.

As I stated this would be massive overkill when running 10-12G batches but might be nice for big brew days with some buddies if we wanted to run 20-30Gallons in one batch. I basically have 2 setups. 1 Keggle setup for 10G batches and now I have just ordered the bigger 42G barrels for doing larger batches when desired. This is all in the name of overkill, efficiency and scalability.

I still have a ton of things to work through on this before I put things in motion but wanted to throw this against the wall and see if it sticks while I continued researching. I want to see what info I can get and also to see what I am missing or what I need to consider. I am planning to run 50-60A GFCI to my brewing area from my main panel and based on what I have read I should be ok with 60A running my control panel as long as no more than 2 elements are ever on at the same time.

I have attached an early mock up of what I am picturing for my control panel. Power is just an LED showing power on. Key is just fancy security measure because its cool. All element and pump buttons would ideally be push button with lights showing what is on. I feel like I am missing a few things on here but cant think of them at the moment. (Possibly selector switch for HLT or BK but not sure how this would work with 4 elements)

Again this is pretty much my first mock up so Im sure there is plenty wrong but thats why Im posting. Will need to get a lot more info on panel size and actual layout as things progress. Happy to answer any questions I can or provide any other info about what I am thinking about. Thanks for any iput and ideas.I hope you all can help me make this a reality :mug:

Control Panel.jpg

Thanks P-J,

I was just about to link to these. I just saw that Bobby has weighed in as well and I really like his idea of having the standard setup and then maybe a "Power Boost" Selector switch as he called it. This is awesome and now Im getting even more excited to get moving on this bad boy. Thanks again for all of your contributions!!

Pat

Quick addition of the "Power Boost" Selector Switch.

As Bobby said you would just have to make sure that you never had elements in both HLT and BK going and then try to use power boost.

Power Boost Control Panel.jpg

I like the way you think!

I have a 10 gallon brewery. My HLT is 10kW and my BK is 5kW. I have a 50A feed to my HLT and a 30A to my BK. That is 80A out of my total 100A house service. For those that think that matters, it has never been and issue with my bi-weekly brewdays...NO breaker has ever tripped.

Concentrate on the HLT. That is the "heart" of the brewery. More power there means quicker mash in and faster ramps (especially with HERMS). I cannot prep and crush grains faster than my HLT heats 14 gallons to strike temps anymore and that makes me very happy!

lschiavo said:
I like the way you think!

I have a 10 gallon brewery. My HLT is 10kW and my BK is 5kW. I have a 50A feed to my HLT and a 30A to my BK. That is 80A out of my total 100A house service. For those that think that matters, it has never been and issue with my bi-weekly brewdays...NO breaker has ever tripped.

Concentrate on the HLT. That is the "heart" of the brewery. More power there means quicker mash in and faster ramps (especially with HERMS). I cannot prep and crush grains faster than my HLT heats 14 gallons to strike temps anymore and that makes me very happy!

My hero!

That is 80A out of my total 100A house service. For those that think that matters, it has never been and issue with my bi-weekly brewdays...NO breaker has ever tripped.

This is awesome that the home brewery garners 80% of the available power....I would guess that you are too busy brewing to be doing any vacuuming or hair drying during a brew session...and being a yooper...A/C is not required often or ever I imagine...I salute you:mug:

Boy do I feel inadequate, I only pull 40a out of 200a available...I need to get busy:)

This is awesome that the home brewery garners 80% of the available power....I would guess that you are too busy brewing to be doing any vacuuming or hair drying during a brew session...and being a yooper...A/C is not required often or ever I imagine...I salute you:mug:

Boy do I feel inadequate, I only pull 40a out of 200a available...I need to get busy:)

NOBODY plugs anything in while I'm brewing!!!!

Seriously, just because I have 80A capacity to my brewery doesn't mean that it very often will pull 80A. Add up the amperage of all the breakers in your main panel...I'm sure they equal more than the total service capacity. If it were any other way we would all have 600A services on our houses.

My major appliances are gas but if they weren't the worst thing that would happen would be resetting the main breaker. It would still be an extremely rare occurance. I see this on a daily basis in my line of work.

AC is required 0.015 days a year here on average so that is not a concern. I always make sure my hair is dry before I begin a brew day:mug:

Subscribed, mostly because I just wrapped up a "mini-me" version of this: One 5500W element in each the HLT and BK, with a DPDT switch to ensure that the power is only running on one side at a time.

I think that if you are going to do this, you could wire it up so that any two of the four elements could be selected to be firing. That way you will be better suited for double batches if you ever feel the need:

1. Fire HLT Elements 1 and 2 for strike
2. Mash In, Fire HLT Elements 1 and 2 for sparge (depending on how you get setup with HERMs/RIMS this may be altered a bit, but the extra power can be used in this step)
3. Drain first runnings, Turn off HLT Element 2, Fire BK Element 1 to begin heating to boil (HLT Element 1 continues to be available to run if you are recirculating/mashing out)
4. Drain sparge to BK, fire BK Elements 1 and 2 to get to boil (or use HLT Element 1 and BK Element 1 if doing small batches, in order to get your second batches strike water ready)
5. Once a boil is started, BK Element 1 to maintain boil. HLT Element 1 is used to continue heating strike water, or for mash recirculation.
6. When first batch is complete, focus all power into second batch wherever you are at in the process.
7. Profit!

Here you go:
While this system is intended to do back-to-back-batches, you could modify it for your needs. 60amp input with (2) 5500W heaters, split between HLT and Boil, but you could do (4) 5500W heaters and split it with HLT and Boil and not do back-to-back batches.

IMG_3160.jpg

kpr121 - I saw your build while looking around and it looks good. Thanks for posting. You seem to be thinking right along the same lines as me on process and this is what I would like to do. I would love to be able to do double batches and also large batches if I want to while also shortening the brew day. Every minute counts these days when brewing and if I can streamline things a little it will make me and more importantly SWMBO happy.

Sparky - That is awesome!! Are those two timers you have on the ends? And what are the red buttons at the bottom? I can make out the alarm but cant read the two red buttons. My partner really wants to do an exact Kal clone but I would like to modify it a little bit. Nothing agains Kals setup which is BADASS. I would just like to beef it up a little with the extra elements. Im not as concerned with the amperage and voltage meters either. What are your thoughts on these? Necessary or just a nice little addition for bling?

Mateo - Thanks!! I hear you about life getting in the way of my brew habit/obsession. Now if I could just find a way to survive and do nothing but tinkering with my brewing I would be set. Im going to check out your build when I get a few minutes and will stay in touch to see how our builds progress. Like I have said it will probably be a bit before I actually get building. Im in the process of completing my new brewstand currently and once that is done this will get my full attention (Outside of all the other real life stuff).

:mug:

Sparky - That is awesome!! Are those two timers you have on the ends? And what are the red buttons at the bottom? I can make out the alarm but cant read the two red buttons. My partner really wants to do an exact Kal clone but I would like to modify it a little bit. Nothing agains Kals setup which is BADASS. I would just like to beef it up a little with the extra elements. Im not as concerned with the amperage and voltage meters either. What are your thoughts on these? Necessary or just a nice little addition for bling?

Hi br1dge,
- (2) reset buttons on the bottom and one alarm/flashing red (in middle).
- (2) timers (on each end). I run one timer for the mash and one timer for the boil since I typically do back-to-back batches
- I like the clock since I do not wear a watch
- The amperage and volt meter is extra bling, but I am a Sparky, so I like seeing what is going on :ban:

Ya, mix it up. Write down what you like to have or how you brew and it will all come together. ;)

Latest posts

Back