I LOVE Costco!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never purchased honey from Costco, not their fault, but any honey that is perfectly clear has been filtered. It is actually illegal to completely filter honey and one reason it is done is to hide the origin on the honey. They are filtering out all the pollens that would tell a lab where the honey came from.

Nope, it's now just a processed food and I rather spend the money to get local stuff, or get stuff on sale.

Also some of it is not honey. Sometimes its doctored with corn syrup. Most of the time the ultrafiltered honey is imported from China.

Ummmmm.....

Please pardon me for quoting myself, didn't make it back until lunch today…

photo_zps25b134eb.jpg

:mug:

Can you see that place from Costco? ;)

Just bought honey today for a batch of mead. Plus tons of other groceries, including a 4 pack of Stone bombers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Damn. Being in MD none of the supermarket type places sell beer :(
Wish I could get cases of Stone for Costco price!

With three kids, if I couldn't buy beer at the grocery, I would be stuck with just homebrew lol. We can even buy liquor at many of our groceries.

THESE...awesome

And the stone I saw was in collectors 4 packs of bombers....for half the price of what you would've paid at a big liquor store.

1398032258431.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398034115.027195.jpg
drinking the Sublimely Self Righteous Black IPA now.

I shop there at least once a week. They have a great beer selection as mentioned. My Costco is currently stocking Stone 12 pack samplers, Sierra Neveda sampler cases and cases of Great Lakes Brewery products. Another perk that nobody has mentioned is their car buying program. I bought my last vehicle through them for about $500 less than the best price I got (Before I remembered to call Costco). If your doing to do a major purchase there get or upgrade to the Executive membership and you earn 2% back. I'm buying hearing aids there next month, they are about 1/2 the price of the shops in my town.

I had the family card when I lived with the parents. Good deals on a lot of stuff in there, and a good selection on things that are only available there. Now that I'm living all alone it just isn't cost effective or practical to get a membership and get the XXL size packages of anything. I miss that store.

phew.........................

I too am single....(well......with woman, but) the shrimp and cheese alone will save me $50 and will gain me $5000 in enjoyment over the year.

Go in with a friend. Especially if you or the friend are female, last names do not have to match. Half price membership and you can shop together and split some of the ridiculous sized food items.

If you only want to go a few times a year you can use gift cards. Have a friend with a membership buy a few gift cards loaded with $10 each. You can use the gift card without a membership.

How much is the membership? I think SAMs has gone up to 45.00.

Not sure, but in that same range.

If you are going a bunch, it makes sense to buy one. Of you go only a few times a year, it's pretty much free to use the gift cards, because you get to use the $10 value on the card.

My wife was with me on my last visit for work supplies. We left with a coupe big bottles of cider (angry orchard Muse and Ice Man) for her and now she is requesting more from the next visit. We might be shopping there more now that all of us drink the same milk, 2 gallons for the price of one at the grocery store and its the same brand?!

I'm amused by the variation in beer that the various Costcos in my region stock. If you don't find much of a beer selection at your local Costco check out the other sores in your area, especially one in a more cosmopolitan or affluent area.

The one by my house has half an isle of craft cases, half an isle of BMC cases, and an end-cap with around a dozen varieties of bombers/750s for sale by the bottle. My housemate isn't much of a beer drinker but won't stop buying Ommegang Three Philosophers and sharing them with me. Local brewers are represented along side Sierra Nevada, Stone, etc.

The store in a less affluent suburb near my friend (that's a bit redneck for Western Washington) had plenty of BMC but only four craft cases, one cider 750, and one Belgian 750.

I'm amused by the variation in beer that the various Costcos in my region stock. If you don't find much of a beer selection at your local Costco check out the other sores in your area, especially one in a more cosmopolitan or affluent area.

The one by my house has half an isle of craft cases, half an isle of BMC cases, and an end-cap with around a dozen varieties of bombers/750s for sale by the bottle. My housemate isn't much of a beer drinker but won't stop buying Ommegang Three Philosophers and sharing them with me. Local brewers are represented along side Sierra Nevada, Stone, etc.

The store in a less affluent suburb near my friend (that's a bit redneck for Western Washington) had plenty of BMC but only four craft cases, one cider 750, and one Belgian 750.

The ONLY one in Louisville (a pretty effing big town) is in arguably the nicest part of town. I guess that sounds like it is a good thing.

That is a very good point on other Costco stores in your area. The one I normally go to had a great craft selection last year. Yea it was the stuff I could get almost any place for being in the bay area but at a much better price. Must not have been selling well since some bottles took a long time to sell. They went back to having the majority of the section stocked with liqueur and wine. There are 2 others I will have to check out where the neighbor hoods are different cultures.

The ONLY one in Louisville (a pretty effing big town) is in arguably the nicest part of town. I guess that sounds like it is a good thing.

I'd be happier if it was on the corner of 43rd & Broadway… Then I wouldn't have to fight all the yuppies to get near it.

I'd be happier if it was on the corner of 43rd & Broadway… Then I wouldn't have to fight all the yuppies to get near it.

I saw the plans for the one on 43rd and broadway. They planned to carry collectors item bombers of colt 45.

The one near me is HUGE, no wait to get in. Bombers of Stone. Don't knock it.

I saw the plans for the one on 43rd and broadway. They planned to carry collectors item bombers of colt 45.

The one near me is HUGE, no wait to get in. Bombers of Stone. Don't knock it.

Well, it's actually a very nice part of town but try and keep that on the D/L so they don't find out.. I'd hate to see those nice people being lowered to chasing frisbie-catching collies and bandana-clad hacker-sackers out of their yards.

Well, it's actually a very nice part of town but try and keep that on the D/L so they don't find out.. I'd hate to see those nice people being lowered to chasing frisbie-catching collies and bandana-clad hacker-sackers out of their yards.

Lol.

I would LOVE to see a costco down there.

I just wonder if it would do well.

If you are ever on Bardstown road, check out the Valumarket by the backdoor bar. It is a freaking mini costco. Their cheese selection puts Kroger to shame. Their beer cave is INSANE.

I got my membership today. That place is huge and impressive. It's just like everyone has said on here. It's definitely more bulky than my SAMs. The one I went didn't have much beer wise, but I got a couple laguntas ipa bombers for 3.79 each and a couple of things that had instant coupons from the manufacturer.

Tomato plants from elsewhere...and then Costco....

1400358205987.jpg

The one from Costco...is 345% bigger than the next biggest one, and has successfully escaped 6 times. I was lucky to get it back the last time, it was buying a bus ticket with a credit card it stole from a construction worker who, thankfully, is reported to be in stable condition.

1400358502643.jpg

Latest posts

Back