I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dan. I'd seen this video before and I play it over and over. An incredible icon shows his humble side, and we get to see the origins of many of their songs. I (we) were blessed to grow up in the late 60's - 70's and heard music from them that was never made before. What an era...……

EDIT: Oh.. And congratulations grandpa !

There’s nothing like power tools to make you feel manly [emoji23].

We just bought another new place in Makakilo. It’s not new, built about 30 years ago so it’s an older home but new to us.

The previous occupant pieced together a small hollow brick wall just one brick high. I think he probably did it to block water during rainy days. The house is built on a pretty good slope.

He never quite finished it and left rebar sticking up about 6” above the blocks. Very dangerous.

So wife is at a Lions club meeting tonight and I had some free time after work. Broke out a Chicago Electric angle grinder I bought Harbor Freight in 2010 for $18 and cut the rebar off below the surface then smoothed the edges with a grinder wheel. It was getting towards dusk and the sparks were flying like a 4th of July sparkler. Such a simple task so much stress relieving fun.

To go on with this long silly story. There’s a plumbing contractor company on the base I work at owned by a guy who must be mid 60’s at least.
A good number of the houses here were built before WWII. That in itself keeps his company busy. The owner is kinda of a grouchy old guy but employs a lot of workers and plumbers.

The base I work on decided every house need a water meter, there are around 2500 houses. Some of the newer ones have them. The guy that does the major plumbing of course got the contract

Where am I going with this ramble?[emoji16]. The owner of the company is at the job sites daily. He has a large number of employees and he is right in the mud with them, mostly. The other day they had to put a water meter in for our maintenance building which meant cutting concrete through a parking lot and jackhammering. Guess who did that? The guy that owns a very profitable plumbing company

Two things to be said about that
1. He didn’t trust his employees so did the work himself
(I don’t buy that, if not for his crew he wouldn’t keep the contract)
2. Power tools man! Make you feel immortal! That and pride[emoji41]

Cheers
Dan

Last edited:
We're buying a house. Closing in about a month. We're moving from the only house we've ever known. The new place is only 10 years old and huge compared to our current love nest. It's scary. I have become comfortable here. I think the change will be good though.

Yeah. Power tools!

Ischiavo my brother! So good to here from you! Congratulations on the new place!. I hear you on your concern on moving from your home which you have been raising your children in. You put a lot of time, love and work, effort into over the years and now you might feel like you’re abandoning that.

Nope my friend, just a new adventure in life. One you and your wife and children will experience together! So happy for you and the next step!

Thanks man. I have always appreciated your advise and insight. You have helped me on my way once again.

I hope all is the best for you Dan and you can play with many power tools.

While walking down the railway today
I thought of a brew that I drank one day

A beer that was delicious and crisper than time

A beer full of happiness sublime

To you all here on HBT. Please keep this supposed poem going for you and me

Cheers!
Dan

My dad bought a mantle clock around 1976. It’s a wind up. Looks like this, this is it actually This sat on the mantle above my childhood home for many years. My dad passed away in 2002 after my mom in2000. They were both to young. Early 60s

So when they passed away their stuff had to be dealt with. It’s a fact, lifetime furniture, odds and ends, clothes, stuff.

My younger brother bought my folks home at the fair property value.land then split the profit with his siblings. I think he paid around 120k so 30 k went to us each. Ducking mater . I probably got something wrong.
Just know all was fair.

No screwing o1800 square feet home with nine acres of woodland. The place was awesome. My brothers and sister took(I don’t mean that in a bad way, not at all) most of the stuff in my mom and dad”s house. Whether they had room for it or not. Out of respect,memories too. Some stuff did get donated to the Salvation Army

I was active duty military at the time, 4-5 thousand miles away from my childhood home. I asked my sis to keep the mantle clock for me , and she did

It’s my last holding on’s to my dad, that and his pipe box you can see in the pipe smoking thread I started

The clock is all mechanical. Needs wound often. So outdated. It’s getting a little worn on the outside but on the inside doing well. My dad wound this mantle clock daily for years on end. It’s been in storage for quite a few years
. I busted it out recently. No mantle to put it on in this Hawaiian house. But it stays here now, at Dan Dawson Hale.
(Hall -ley). It means house home in Hawaiian

Cheers
Dan
IMG_0001.JPG

Last edited:
While walking down the railway today
I thought of a brew that I drank one day

A beer that was delicious and crisper than time

A beer full of happiness sublime

To you all here on HBT. Please keep this supposed poem going for you and me

Cheers!
Dan

This beer was a secret of the magical temple
Of the shaolin priests who declared its potential
Master Po declared it’s quite existential
Of the masters there, he was quite influential
Young Grasshopper he said, to reach your potential
You must drink this beer and be reverential
Drink it freely, you must totally immerse
It will reveal the secrets of the universe

kwaichangcaine.jpg
masterpo.png

My dad bought a mantle clock around 1976. It’s a wind up. Looks like this, this is it actually This sat on the mantle above my childhood home for many years. My dad passed away in 2002 after my mom in2000. They were both to young. Early 60s

So when they passed away their stuff had to be dealt with. It’s a fact, lifetime furniture, odds and ends, clothes, stuff.

My younger brother bought my folks home at the fair property value.land then split the profit with his siblings. I think he paid around 120k so 30 k went to us each. Ducking mater . I probably got something wrong.
Just know all was fair.

No screwing o1800 square feet home with nine acres of woodland. The place was awesome. My brothers and sister took(I don’t mean that in a bad way, not at all) most of the stuff in my mom and dad”s house. Whether they had room for it or not. Out of respect,memories too. Some stuff did get donated to the Salvation Army

I was active duty military at the time, 4-5 thousand miles away from my childhood home. I asked my sis to keep the mantle clock for me , and she did

It’s my last holding on’s to my dad, that and his pipe box you can see in the pipe smoking thread I started

The clock is all mechanical. Needs wound often. So outdated. It’s getting a little worn on the outside but on the inside doing well. My dad wound this mantle clock daily for years on end. It’s been in storage for quite a few years
. I busted it out recently. No mantle to put it on in this Hawaiian house. But it stays, here now. Dawson Hali

Cheers
Dan
View attachment 617873

Does it do the westminster chime? One of the springs there is the clock, the next would be the chimes. What's the third for?

I've got a ton of mechanical clocks around the house. The only one I keep going is the one in my den. It's an 8-day mech - I wind it on Sundays.

I've got a neat one that'st built into a heavy ship's brass porthole. My father in law and I put that together with a german mech. He was in the navy and got the porthole somewhere back int he 60's.

Pappy, if you are asking if it sounds like this. Sure does my friend
. I don’t remember yet the reason for the third wind up thing. If you find out let me know please, Pappy. If I find out I’ll let you know
Cheers
Dan

Last edited:
That's a special clock for you, and I'm glad you have it after all this time.

We just bought a house, it's going to take a lot of work. Fortunately most will be cosmetic work. It looks like something out of the late 70s.

That's a special clock for you, and I'm glad you have it after all this time.

We just bought a house, it's going to take a lot of work. Fortunately most will be cosmetic work. It looks like something out of the late 70s.

Congrats on the new place! I’m in the same predicament as far as cosmetic stuff. That’s okay! Make it your own.

The clock needs sent to the shop. It kept time overnight, rang every fifteen minutes. As the hour goes by the chime ads a note each 15 minutes and At the end of the hour it chimes once for each hour. Last night at the end of each hour it chimed 12 times. Oh brother. Tonight it stays outside in the storage shed. I’ll get it fixed

I’m getting into solar lights. We bought some super bright LED lights for the backyard and the side yards. Amazingly bright, I’d prefer a more soft, warm brightness but my wife likes these. They’re motion sensitive and stay on around 30 seconds once motion is detected. Good security lights. And pretty inexpensive.
Two of them have 136 LEDS and the lumens suppose to be 1800. The others are less bright but certainly bright enough to light up the yard

They might become a bit of an annoyance unless my dogs stop playing around and setting them off.

So far tonight one of my little dogs, a chihuahua has made three trips from back yard to front setting the lights off in sequence. Hopefully the novelty will wear off for him. Otherwise my neighbors might get annoyed and that dog won’t get any sleep. lol
Cheers

Last edited:
Lots of PV panels and solar water collectors on rooftops in Hawaii.
Here’s s few shots of the side yard. All solar except in one pic of the pathway lighting at the top is the neighbors living room light

Electricity is ridiculously expensive.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG

Looks nice, Dan.

I appreciate the broad-spectrum "daylight" white light bulbs, but I can see how it might not be the best for lighting your lawn after dark.

Had lunch with my son today. Informed him that in fact the rule is hoes before bros, even though he may have been informed differently. We sat on the patio which was a grandiose example of Scottsdale opulence in March. The desert flowers are crazy in bloom and the deadly AZ sun is muted and comfortable. Every ounce of my being loved this sixteen year old smarty pants in spite of all the anguish he has caused. Drank ice tea throughout and didn’t even mind much. Putting up some curtain LED lights for my wife this week. Should look real nice around the fire pit gazebo.

Informed him that in fact the rule is hoes before bros, even though he may have been informed differently.

I've heard that rule a lot before, but in my experience (going through highschool and then living at a fraternity house for a couple years in college) that just isn't how it actually works. That is just what the "bros" say to give the guy grief (present day equivalent to the late 90s / early 00s "you're whipped"), though some bros take it too far.

But I met my wife at college orientation and then we started dating a few days after our classes began. I met her before I met a large majority of the college friends I still talk to. So my view might be a little different from most.

Totally going off topic

Rats! I’m talking the vermin rats they’re smart, grossly and create havoc

You wouldn’t believe the problems they cause. I’m almost convinced that if there is truly a devil these are his creations to wreak havoc.
Some of the things I’ve seen them do in search of water is eat through ABS waste plumbing, PEX fresh water lines, dish washer drains, foam insulation, PVC. Usually all driven by the want of water

Today I had a service at a house for a water leak. It ended up being a crack in a copper pipe that provided the cold water to the solar water heater.

At this point I wouldn’t rule out a rat scratched through the soft copper.

There was definite signs of rat intrusion. The insulation on water pipes was bored out. There were holes in the walls bored out. I found an electrical cord plug all but devoured down to the bare wiring

Rats have always been a plague with disease. Now they have upped their game and start ruining homes by eating their way through anything tat contains water.

Today I saw the fvekers ate through the plastic cover of a solar control device as well as the wiring going in and out of it.

Rat bastards. They all are just evil little pricks that cause havoc

Last edited:
To follow this rat story up a little (not sure if anybody is even reading it, ‘cept Passedpawn.

I did something really stupid in hindsight. I’ve actually done a lot of things stupid in hindsight

Back around 11/18 we had a water leak. It was the main supply into the house. Came in from the street into a backyard water shut off. Then the piping dove under the foundation, came up for a second to the washing machine (washers in Hawaii are not uncommon outside, like in the mainland where they’re in the garage)

Anyway, from the main it landed first closest spot in the yard - outdoor spigot. Then some pluming stuff got it to the washer and then it tee’d off down through the slab and went to a manifold under the stairs (enclosed stairs) then spread out through the house via the manifold, it connected all the water needs

Fast forward. I used PEX to reroute the water supply to the manifold. It worked fine. No leaks. I did this by bypassing the underground copper plumbing. I ran PEX. I was in a rush, easy fix. Didn’t even consider rat bastards. So far the little devils haven’t touched it. A freckle just jinxed myself. Fleck!

Loving the auto editing on foul language. Interesting. Keeps a few unimaginative swear words from coming across a very nice forum. Thank you

Rats are the worst. I grew up on a farm and they were always getting into places we didn't want them. Mostly the feed, but occasionally they'll chew through cable. And of course they poop everywhere. Cats help, but they don't get everything. If one could count on ferrets not to run away when they aren't caged or on a leash I'd like to give them a try. My wife's family had a rat terrier dog that they say handled rodents pretty well before she lost her eyes.

Back