I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wished my oldest happy son's day. Busy lately. Hope everyone is well. I didn't have time to read much.

We are work van shopping. Our '99 Dodge bit the bullet about 120 miles from home. That was a long day getting it cleaned out and ready for scrap. I hate buying vehicles. I always feel like I'm getting screwed.

Sorry to hear about your van, Ischiavo. If you do as well on the next one you're good for at least another 20 years!

Happy Son's day to your boys Ischiavo!

Hey first time posting in this thread. Love this time of night period...

Happy Son's day to all! The declaration comes as perfect timing. A few weeks ago I realized I had so much going on in life I had been somewhat neglecting quality time with my eight year old son so I declared "Guys Night" every Thursday just to hang out with him and do whatever. Tonight we worked on his bicycle. Got it all tuned up then played some video games. Had a great time then made a yeast starter after he went to bed.

Come to think of it, I'm a son too. Where is that old bastard?? He's getting a five gallon northern brewer starter kit for Christmas. He drinks to much beer not to brew his own. Where's that Old Milwaukee recipe kit?...

In honor of Son's Day, I announced I am taking an entire week off (longest I've not worked since I was 12 - ties my honeymoon and an anniversary trip) and taking my son (and his Boy Scout Troop) to Camp Notalotafun {okay Camp Chawanakee}. [This use of punctuation is entirely wrong in this post]. That was planned for months is not relevant. We travel to celebrate SON"S DAY!!! Photos to follow as a get a signal....they leave Saturday, I have to teach so I'm following Sunday. Its a dry trip [my liver smiles].

LRB, I believe I know you enough to say, love you brother. Super happy to hear you're taking your kids on adventure

Thanks Dan, you are an inspiration here. Just one kid. Joseph he's 11. His grandpa (mother's side) who frustrates me to no end, is starting to show Joe how to play guitar. Grandpa does have some talent. Here is the only song I can play (not this well - back in the day it was good pick up a stray guitar play the song and walk away):

Last edited by a moderator:
I reckon I'm not the only person on this thread who gets older with each passing day. I'm 50 now. I don't think I feel 50. In my mind I'm still 30 years old. But reality is- that's not true.

I still look at myself in the mirror and recognize a once athletic body... It's covered in old man back hair, a balding head and a bit of belly fat these days though.

I consider myself in half decent, not great shape. Actually.. I'm in pisspoor shape these days. My only claim to health is my BP is back to normal and I'm not obese.

Thinking about going back to a gym. My answer to good health, in my mind is cardio Heath. I've never been muscular but have always had good muscle tone.

I have always avoided weight training. I admit, those guys benching massive weights and such , intimidate me so I've never gone that route. Running, I got pretty good at.

Not now though because I'm lazy. If I had to run a block Id need to stop and catch my breath after a few minutes exertion. A far cry from me on my forty-forth birthday. That day I ran in the Boston marathon. I didn't place , well maybe last , but I didn't stop either

So I think I'm going to start going to the gym again. I'm to young to be old.

Any suggestion on a training plan? I'd be gratefull

I reckon I'm not the only person on this thread who gets older with each passing day. I'm 50 now. I don't think I feel 50. In my mind I'm still 30 years old. But reality is- that's not true.

I still look at myself in the mirror and recognize a once athletic body... It's covered in old man back hair, a balding head and a bit of belly fat these days though.

I consider myself in half decent, not great shape. Actually.. I'm in pisspoor shape these days. My only claim to health is my BP is back to normal and I'm not obese.

Thinking about going back to a gym. My answer to good health, in my mind is cardio Heath. I've never been muscular but have always had good muscle tone.

I have always avoided weight training. I admit, those guys benching massive weights and such , intimidate me so I've never gone that route. Running, I got pretty good at.

Not now though because I'm lazy. If I had to run a block Id need to stop and catch my breath after a few minutes exertion. A far cry from me on my forty-forth birthday. That day I ran in the Boston marathon. I didn't place , well maybe last , but I didn't stop either

I'm right there with you Dan. I was in great shape most my life until I went back to school after the army. By then I had a wife and a job plus school and my health has been on the back burner since. I'd say I've gained about 60-70 pounds since then and want to exercise and lose it but now I have the excuses of a 50-70 hour work week and a family plus continuing education that is required to stay on top of developments in my field. I keep telling myself that I will make time next week but I never do. Sorry I'm not much help.

I can tell you that after the doc gave me the go ahead to run again after being shot in the knee that I just started with a 3 day/week running plan. First week it was a mile or two each day where I would run for two minutes and walk for one minute until I reached my distance goal. Next week I had the same distance but just ran for 3-4 minutes and walked for one until I got to the point I just didn't feel the need to walk anymore. At which point I just upped the distance every week until I reached my distance goals.

Thanks for the quick reply, and the tips Sfgoat. I suppose the truth is, I know what I need to do. I just have found reasons not to

My Doctor just told me I needed to get some exercise. When I asked what I should do, she looked at my chart and said, "Dig a hole". :)

Kidding aside (though she really said that), I am trying to get more exercise in. I used to be a good cyclist and runner (horrible swimmer) and on a triathelon team. I have to remind myself constantly that I it is not 2002-2005 and I need to walk before I run again. Slowing the treadmill after 20 minutes because I can't breathe instead of speeding up after a 20 minute warm up to an near sprinting speed is hard to take.

I enjoy getting old and the challenges. That's totally. BS

Not sure where you all are at in secure manliness. Pretty sure you, or most you have the security enough to admit there are Men you admire. Even a Man crush possibly

I have three. Johnny Cash , John Wayne, and Waylon Jennings. The first two have common first names to my kin. My brother, my dad, and my paternal grandpa are all named John

John, in my mind, is a solid man's name. Just as Danny is a wild child name. To me.

Back on track. (But , there really isn't a track though )

In know about getting older and the weight issue. I have lost about 25 lbs since winter. Just eating better, less beer and the only exercise is work which can be a bit strenuous sometimes. I do dig holes but never lay down in them..

We logged about 400 miles today searching for a new work van. I think we scored. 2008 Chevy Express Cargo Extended 6.0L. They had two very similar vans for sale and I think they mixed them up. The listing we followed stated a 4.8L. When we got there, it was a 6.0. We paid 9k and blue book looks to be 12.5k. Maybe I didn't get screwed this time...at least we'll be back to work on Monday.

I think we'll put the boat in the river tomorrow and try to get some walleyes. Wifey is shooting a wedding so it will be just us men celebrating son's day a bit late;)

I have two dogs. The weight of the two added up might be 22 pounds, max.

I also have a cat, he's been with me over nine years. He's a really great soul and I do love the little guy.

Recently, a cat we had years ago but gave away, showed back up. She has a microchip. We gave her away when we moved to CA years ago. Recently she must have run away from her home. An animal patrol officer picked her up. They checked the microchip. It was still registered to my wife and her phone number. They called her. She picked up the cat. Now I have a nine year old cat living in my bathroom. Oh brother!

Lol, he'll never make it out of the parking lot...

IMG_20140801_204157 (1).jpg

I would be lying if I didn't say I loved Johnny Cash music

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by a moderator:
The words.

Taps
© Pennsylvania Military College
Day is done, gone the sun,
From the lake, from the hills, from the sky;
All is well, safely rest, God is nigh.

Fading light, dims the sight,
And a star gems the sky, gleaming bright.
From afar, drawing nigh, falls the night.

Thanks and praise, for our days,
'Neath the sun, 'neath the stars, neath the sky;
As we go, this we know, God is nigh.

Sun has set, shadows come,
Always true to the promise that they made.

While the light fades from sight,
And the stars gleaming rays softly send,
To thy hands we our souls, Lord, commend.

I have two dogs. The weight of the two added up might be 22 pounds, max.

I also have a cat, he's been with me over nine years. He's a really great soul and I do love the little guy.

Recently, a cat we had years ago but gave away, showed back up. She has a microchip. We gave her away when we moved to CA years ago. Recently she must have run away from her home. An animal patrol officer picked her up. They checked the microchip. It was still registered to my wife and her phone number. They called her. She picked up the cat. Now I have a nine year old cat living in my bathroom. Oh brother!

The cat swam to Hawaii?

I have decided to put my own ban on products advertised as gluten free. as "gluten free"

I saw a popcorn display the other day that boasted gluten free. That was my breaking point. Another marketing fad overplayed

Another YouTube link that doesn't work at the tap of my finger. It's getting frustrating. I have recently had YouTube video posting disfunction

I still don't know why videos don't post for me...

Muddy Waters. The song is Cross Eyed Cat.

A great, great blues song from the 1977 album, Hard Again

Yeah I'm so sorry,
I got to leave my woman alone
Yeah I'm so sorry,
I got to leave my woman alone
Well you know she got a crosseyed cat,
Livin' without that man in her home

Every time I start to see this woman,
He's in the corner growlin' or layin' down
Every time I start to see this woman,
He's in the corner growlin' or layin' down
Yeah, you know he's too big to be a house cat,
And he's too small to be a lion
There's somethin' wrong

Yeah, I stop by my baby's house,
He start jumpin' from wall to wall
Yeah, I stop by my baby's house,
He start jumpin' from wall to wall
Then he's lookin' crosseyed at me,
Sit back in the corner and licked his balls

Yeah, my woman got a crosseyed cat,
Livin' there with her in her home
Yeah, my woman got a crosseyed cat,
Livin' there with her in her home
You know I try so hard to do her right,
But it seem like everything I do is wrong

More like fans in general who enjoy and understand the game......the Paul George incident is very unfortunate though!

Latest posts

Back