I like animals.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rhoobarb said:
Yeah, a lot of food is that way - chicken, pork chops and many cuts of meat come to mind.:D

Only with cheap cuts.

I only eat chicken once or twice a year and pay $18 instead of $6. The$6 doesn't taste of anything the $18 is full of flavour.

It's the same with other meat. Quality v Mass produced.

Not comparison.

In the movie "Hombre", the male star (I think it was John Wayne) had a woman tell him,"I hear the Indians eat dog!"

He tells her, "Lady...you ever been hungry? I don't mean ready to eat, but HUNGRY! If you were hungry, you'd eat dog!"

orfy said:
Only with cheap cuts.

I only eat chicken once or twice a year and pay $18 instead of $6. The$6 doesn't taste of anything the $18 is full of flavour.

It's the same with other meat. Quality v Mass produced.

Not comparison.

Gotta disagree there. IMO, Chicken is chicken is chicken - at least white meat is. I've had store-stuff, free-range, marigold-fed and everything in between and at every $ value! And it's all about the same. It all needs proper seasoning to take it to the next level.:) I'd toss a lot of whitefish into that mix, too.

Hombre was Paul Newman.

I have eaten most things, would still like to try snake and turtle!

I had a flatmate once that used to watch nature programmes and try to work out the best way of cooking them. Giraffe neck on a BBQ...

Rhoobarb said:
I'd toss a lot of whitefish into that mix, too.

I disagree... Frozen whitefish YES... Fresh whitefish tastes sooooo much better... in all honesty the different kinds of whitefish flavors really show through with sushi... But even cooked fresh whitefish tastes so much better than frozen...

BTW that avatar is very distracting...

Rhoobarb said:
Gotta disagree there. IMO, Chicken is chicken is chicken - at least white meat is. I've had store-stuff, free-range, marigold-fed and everything in between and at every $ value! And it's all about the same. It all needs proper seasoning to take it to the next level.:) I'd toss a lot of whitefish into that mix, too.

Hombre was Paul Newman.

I dunno, Rhoobarb, I raise chickens and there is a definite difference between different feeds that I've given them. I think there is a substantial difference between range fed and barn fed too. Mine are range birds and while the meat tends to be a little tougher, the taste and body and superior. Maybe I'm biased, but we do buy take out chicken on rare occasions and can't help but giggle at the tiny pieces and mushy texture. It's still tasty though. Just in a different way.

Forgot to mention I had chapulines (crickets) in Oaxaca, Mexico and reindeer in Sweden (which was really good).

I think there's a big difference in chickens...I normally buy from the regular grocery store, but when it's on sale at the "expensive hippie organic grocery store" I buy it there and it's always much plumper, juicier, and more tender. Since I cook turkey once, maybe twice, a year I always buy them from the same store and I've actually converted my mother to them who has always bought the $0.29/lb birds.

I am trying to think of a strange food i have eaten but cant come up with anything like you guys are posting.

Hmmmm.....does sushi count if so i will go with sushi and caviar!
Oh yeah i think i had octopus a very long time ago.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Forgot to mention I had chapulines (crickets) in Oaxaca, Mexico and reindeer in Sweden (which was really good).
They make a lot of reindeer sausage and jerky in Alaska - I used to buy it quite often. It was tasty!

Yuri_Rage said:
They make a lot of reindeer sausage and jerky in Alaska - I used to buy it quite often. It was tasty!
I just finished off some venison jerky that was stellar.

When I had reindeer it was at a street festival in Malmo, Sweden. The funny thing was that the day before they had a live reindeer staked near their booth, but the animal rights people had a booth adjacent and complained about the inhumane treatment of the live reindeer. I guess they couldn't do anything about people actually eating them, though...

With the avaliability of fresh top quality beef, pork, chicken, bison here in the midwest i find no reason to venture from that tasty menu.

Cheese, you had better eat all of the beef you can before the other weirdos in chicago outlaw all of the steaks and such because of the growing conditions just like they did fois gras.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I just finished off some venison jerky that was stellar.

When I had reindeer it was at a street festival in Malmo, Sweden. The funny thing was that the day before they had a live reindeer staked near their booth, but the animal rights people had a booth adjacent and complained about the inhumane treatment of the live reindeer. I guess they couldn't do anything about people actually eating them, though...
Yeah man jerky is goooooooooood stuff! :ban:

Lord Sterrock Hammerson 8 said:
Hmmmm.....does sushi count if so i will go with sushi and caviar!
Oh yeah i think i had octopus a very long time ago.

The only thing in your post that doesn't taste good is caviar... Sushi is good, Octopus is good so is squid, if it's done right... calamari, mmmm...

I've eaten a crapload of weird food in my travels. I had dog in Korea. It wasn't the best thing I've ever eaten--and I'd assume most of that was the mental aspect. Funny story on that.....a buddy of mine was there with me, and he's chewing and chewing and chewing on this bit....he asks the korean co-worker that brought us to the place what he was eating...he kind of flipped a piece of this chewy stuff around with his fork and asked..."Mushrooms?"...Mr Yi says, "no you eat skin, buddy!" Dude didn't eat much after that. None of us did. :D

I love venison, pretty much any way you can prepare it. Jerky and venison bologna are the cat's ass.

I've had horse. It is big over in France. I was at this restaurant with an AF buddy and some of his Parisian family, and I decided I'd order a cheeseburger. I knew I should have ordered something else when all the Parisians looked at me like "are you sure?". I took one bit of that burger and let the rest sit. It was really...odd. Of course, after the fact they tell me what I just ate.

I've had gator and thought it was really fatty. That said, I have some gator sausage in my freezer that I need to prepare one of these days. For some reason I don't think I'm going to just put that on a bun and call it a sammich.
I'm thinking in a soup.

FWIW, I'd take a breast of chicken (BBQ'd or hop smoked, or whatever) over a steak. And that is coming from someone who can cook a mean steak. :D

the_bird said:
Get a copy of his books - lots better than the show. Kitchen Confidential and Cooks Tour, both highly recommended.

I've read all of them--great books, I agree. I think he has another coming out soon....I have a c-load of the Cooks Tour episodes on DVD. Cobra heart. Awesome.

Haven't had a lot of exotic meats. I've eaten rattlesnake, ostrich, bison, rocky mountain oysters, aligator, venison, rabbit. Nothing real crazy. By the way, those that are heading out to Denver in June for the NHC. Check out the Buckhorn Exchange (Rich Brewer could probably testify) a wild game restaurant that also holds Colorado liquor license #1.

I also wouldn't eat anything endangered - just seems wrong.

Yea, I agree. But interestingly enough, spotted owl tastes a lot like bald eagle.:D

Latest posts

Back