I invented a new step mash... or rather, I just screwed up my mash temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froyd

Reaction score
I have an electric BIAB device and on my first use I relied on the timer to get the water at 160F at 7am. Turns out I adjusted the timer incorrectly and when I went to mash in, I just noticed my 160F "SET" parameter, not the 115F "ACTUAL" water temp. I stirred in 8lbs of grains of a total of 13.5lbs before I caught my mistake. Some kind soul on the Anvil Foundry FB page suggested lifting the malt pipe out of the water as the water continued to heat up, but their advice came to late for me. So, I resorted to leave the 8lbs of 2row sit in the water as it came from 115F to 152F over 25 minutes. I assume this messed up the mash Ph for that time of the ramp, until the temp was high enough and I added the balance of the grains.

What can I expect as the effect on my beer?

The change will be small, not enough to be of concern. You did an unexpected ramped infusion. With a roughly +1.5F rise per minute getting to 152F there wasn't enough time at the lower temps (115-128F) to do any undo harm. The beer might be slightly drier than usual but I doubt it will even be noticeable.

Thanks, Ed. I could use all the reassurance I can get. It was a bumpy ride today, but still very enjoyable, plus 5 gallons of beer are waiting for me in a couple of weeks so can't complain.

dry beer, lower calories, more alcohol! sounds like a win! i add gluco to mine for the same effect.....

be sure to post back with your FG, i'd guess something like 1.004

Back