I Have Access To Local Hops - Help Me Make an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KidDynamite

Reaction score
ok Hopheads - I need your help. I haven't yet made a hop-centric brew, and since a neighbor has offered my brew-partner and me some homegrown hops, I figure it's about time.

This will be a 5 gallon batch. With 5 gallon batches, I don't have the capacity to do all grain, so it will have to be extract or partial mash.

The hops are mostly Centennial: "dried and in the fridge," but I may also have access to some small quantities of: "Fuggles, Kent, Hallertau, Cascade, Golding"

so... talk to me... help me make a recipe that will highlight the Centennial hops.

thanks!
-KD

Steep 1/2 lb or so caramel 60L and 1/2 lb or so carapils

Use light or extra light extract (dry or liquid) in sufficient quantity to get to 1.065ish OG

You won't know the alpha acid content of the home grown hops, so there's no use in being too precise here. You might try:

1 oz Centennial 60
1 oz Centennial 20
2 oz Centennial 10
2 oz Centtenial 5
3 oz Centenial dry hop for 7-10 days

Ferment with California Ale yeast WLP001 if you will be making a starter. If not, then go with dry yeast, either US-05 or Nottingham. With any of these
, ferment in the low 60s.

Sounds like a fun experiment!

I wouldn't use too much crystal/caramel, especially the darker varieties. They can detract from hop focus.

Shoot for 1.065-1.070 OG

Primarily Extra Light DME, half added at boil start, half added at 15 min left
25-30% American 2-row, mashed at 148 F
8-10% corn sugar, add at 15 min left or flameout
5-10% wheat malt, mashed at 148 F
0-5% crystal 10 or 20, steeped

20-30 IBUs from Centennial at 60
20-30 IBUS from Centennial at 30
2 oz Centennial at 15
2 oz Centennial for a 30 min post boil aroma steep
3 oz Centennial at 7-10 da dryhop

WLP001 w/appropriate sized starter

30 days in the primary including dryhop time.
2-3 weeks bottle priming

You'll probably hit 1.014 FG or lower. If you want to use the other hops vs. all Centennial, some Cascade would work here.

Latest posts

Back