I Hate (unwanted) Esters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldStyler

Reaction score
Just opened an APA. Tastes like a Belgian. Disappointed and wanted to say something. So many esters that if I didn't tell you what kind it was supposed to be, someone might actually think that's what it was supposed to taste like. Hate those dang esters. (yes I know they're technically my fault, I didn't know a heat wave was coming in the day after I brewed.)

Do you guys just drink em anyway or what?

well, if its only as bad as most commercial beer, then I'll drink it... if its seriously bad, just disgusting crap that only a wino who normally drinks mouthwash would touch it, then I throw it out.

I started brewing early 2010, probably made close to 25-30 batches already and to date I've only dumped two of them

Depends.

If it's not too bad, but bad enough that I'd rather drink something else, I'll set it aside if I have the room.

If it's really bad, or a don't have the room, I'll dump it. Life's too short to drink beer that tastes awful. Only had to do that to two batches. One, my temp controller was off in my fridge in the garage, beer got into the 90s while it was fermenting. The other I added like 2oz of vanilla extract to when it needed like .2oz. Awful.

I had that happen once, and I drank it anyway. The banana flavor in my winter warmer kinda grew on me after a while. It didn't taste bad, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

happened to me with an oktoberfest ale - it's still drinkable but has a slight fruity/off finish that bugs me

prompted me to get a mini fridge for a ferm chamber since my water bath method was too difficult to maintain properly when I wasn't around

I drink it, but don't give it away. Or....and this is the REAL answer: dry hop the living hell out of it! 2oz of Cascade or Centennial will cover any mistakes you as the brewer made. I guess this only really works in the keg, though. Kyle

I drink it, but don't give it away. Or....and this is the REAL answer: dry hop the living hell out of it! 2oz of Cascade or Centennial will cover any mistakes you as the brewer made. I guess this only really works in the keg, though. Kyle
I tried this with an Imperial Blonde Ale that had gone awry with esters and unfortunately it didn't help. Luckily my brother thought it was one of the best beers he's ever had. Otherwise I was getting ready to dump it as soon as I had another batch ready to keg and drink. It tasted OK but as terapinnj stated the fruity/off flavor bugged me.

Latest posts

Back