I had an idea .... Barleywine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShackNasty

Reaction score
So.... I was thinking today that I wanted to try a big barley wine style ale, but I also wanted to make a black wheat ... Then I thought " what if I did both?" henceforth...

2.0 gal batch - all-grain

3lb 8oz American 2-row pale 47%
2lb American white wheat 27%
1lb. Vienna malt 14%
5oz. Honey malt. 4%
5oz. Midnight wheat. 4%
4oz. Torrified wheat. 3%

0.25oz Magnum 14.0% aa 60min (fwh)
0.25oz Nugget 13.0% aa 60min (fwh)
0.25oz Amarillo 7.00% aa 45min
0.25oz Cascade 5.50% aa 15min
0.25oz Chinook 13.0% aa 10min
0.25oz Willamette 5.50% aa 5min
0.25oz Amarillo 7.00% aa 0min

I was thinking of using WLP004 - Irish ale, but this is not yet set in stone.

Anticipated:
OG - 1.101
SRM - 34
IBU - 69.0

Anyways, I guess I'm just fishing for thoughts/ suggestions.
Thanks

Take the 45 min amarillo addition and toss it in at flameout or 5 mins. I like my chinook boiled at least 15 minutes, so I'd add the chinook at 15 and add the cascade at 5. Swap out the 004 for 007. I like the grainbill.

Edit: my brother and his family just moved to Redding. Seems like a nice place to live!

Take the 45 min amarillo addition and toss it in at flameout or 5 mins. I like my chinook boiled at least 15 minutes, so I'd add the chinook at 15 and add the cascade at 5. Swap out the 004 for 007. I like the grainbill.

Edit: my brother and his family just moved to Redding. Seems like a nice place to live!

Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated ! My plan is to age for approx one year.

Redding is a nice place, well parts of it are nice! It can get pretty warm here in the summer, but it is the second sunniest city in the country, which is kind of cool. There has been, unfortunately, a recent increase in nonviolent crime in the area, but other than that, it's a pretty neat place. I hope he enjoys it.

Thanks again.

Your hop schedule suggests an american barleywine. If that is the case consider WLP 001 Cal Ale.

I thought about WLP001, as I do with all my beers. However, I am also starting to be a little more adventurous with my yeast, and want to see what characters different yeast impart. Maybe I will split it up between two batches and pitch two different strains. Thank you for the suggestion !

ShackNasty said:
I thought about WLP001, as I do with all my beers. However, I am also starting to be a little more adventurous with my yeast, and want to see what characters different yeast impart. Maybe I will split it up between two batches and pitch two different strains. Thank you for the suggestion !

I'd add pacman to the list as well. Haven't tried it myself but it's on the list - as much like you, I'm trying different styles of yeast as much as possible this year. Split batch sounds like a great idea for a barleywine. Good luck!

Back