I got a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmiller356

Reaction score
Tulsa, Oklahoma AND Springfield, Missouri
I recently topped up my peach and banana wine, and had to be out of town for a couple days. Before it seemed like fermentation had slowed down, and when I topped up fermentation picked back up again. I know adding sugar can restart fermentation, but my main question is this: is it normal for fermentation to be nearly complete and then start back up again.

image-611197500.jpg

1 of 2 things may have happend here. But first are you judging that fermentation picked up because of airlock activity? Or have you been taking gravity readings and know the sugar content dropped?

In my latest attempt at a Spiced orange mead I topped up with some water after 30 days for the purpose of lowering the gravity to help my yeast finish fermenting. I was siting at. Gravity of 1.084 still but the yeast activity was at a stand still. Adding nutrient and water seemed to pick up fermentation.

The other thing that may be more likely is that if fermentation was complete and you topped up with water. There may have been dissolved CO2 that is now disturbed and you are noticing some increased airlock activity due to degassing and not fermentation.

The only way to know for sure as to what is happening is with gravity readings and watching closely over a few day period.

Well, my hydrometer broke (I left it on the ground and my foot found it), so I haven't been able to make any gravity readings. But there is activity in the airlock. I'll keep a watchful eye on it. But if it helps, I topped up with a cup of sugar and two cups of water, that was boiled to dissolve and then cooled down.

Ok well then it sounds like your yeast was not at it's tolerance and when you added the sugar water then the yeast picked back up. That is normal. Heck I had a ginger mead that I had sitting and racked a few times over months and it was perfectly clear. I tried to stabilize with Camden and sorbate but added my back sweetening honey too soon and fermentation picked right back up in it.

When you notice fermentation looks complete throw the jug in the fridge if you can. Cold crashing the jug will clear it out within 1-2 weeks if not sooner.

Back