I forgot to starsan. Fatal mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I just racked my latest beer to secondary but I failed to sanitize the Better Bottle vessel with Starsan. Oh, I cleaned it well with oxyclean and rinsed with warm water 3 times but I failed to swirl some Starsan into the carboy before racking. Do you think I made a fatal mistake or do you think the beer gods will be with me?

Actually it will probably be fine. The yeast will likely outcompete anything unwelcome. Doesn't mean it's a good idea, of course...

Forgetting to sanitize doesn't guarantee an infection; it just greatly increases the odds.

You'll probably be fine, just don't forget next time.

When I first started brewing I failed to really appreciate the difference between cleaning and sanitizing my equipment. I used a cleaning agent on all my equipment and no sanitizer for my first several batches, but was lucky enough to never have an infection.

IMO it all depends on the bugs hanging around. I think 9x out of ten you'll be fine, but there's always that one lacto or Bret colony that can stick around through the cleaning phase, or was hanging around on your faucet or nozzle that will contaminate your batch.

I just made the same mistake before racking to secondary. I had way too many things going on at the same time and it slipped my mind. The worst part is I am usually really careful about sanitizing everything, so I'm kicking myself right now. I was trying to use the slurry from my honey kolsch for a batch of Skeeter Pee that I made last night so I was racking and boiling at the same time and skipped that oh-so-important step.

Hope yours turns out alright!

You'll be fine...oxi clean is an oxygen based cleaner, but from what I understand it also sanitizes. The product one - step, an oxy type variant was supplied with kits and sold for years for the purpose of sanitizing and cleaning.

Oxygen cleaners are not "approved" as a sanitizer, but they are reasonably effective afaik. Thanks

If you have concerns, perhaps drinking the beer quickly will ease your mind prior to the infection building. The billion yeast you pitch has a helluva head start on the one stray Brett colony lol.

Rdwhahb

Traquair House (a world class brewery) fermented in open vats until relatively recently. Traquair House Ale is one of the worlds highest ranked beers. Perhaps todays level of sanitation concern is overrated.

Back