I feel lost!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Wow man, reading my old posts is making me feel lost and old!

For the first time I understand “I’ve forgotten more than you’ll ever know kid!”

I’m reading Designing Great Beers again, occasionally watching videos, but I’m really dying to get my hands on some equipment.

Had a great conversation with a local homebrew shop owner too. He said it sounded like I know more than him. I corrected him: “knew”.

Oh boy this is going to be fun!

The art has massively changed over the years. I mostly stopped reading about advances and didn't worry about keeping up. Now when I read these posts, it seems like I'm reading graduate level thesis papers, but then I think "you know what? I still brew good beer without pressure fermenting, spunding valves, keg to keg transfers, fermonsters, worrying about oxidation if 1 gram of oxygen gets in my fermenter, spending thousands of dollars, etc., and I bet I have more fun doing it. "

My plan is to get back to where I was but no further. I don’t see myself investing in practically commercial-grade equipment, screw that.

I played around with Beer Smith some today. During my last run, I had a Mac computer (never again!), so I was using Beer Alchemy. From what I remember, it was a more intuitive program.

If you get back to where you were, you'll probably be much happier than sweating oxidation, 2 degree temp changes in mash temp, and other b.s. Brew on old-school, brother. :)

You should give Brewer's Friend a try, I love that it's web-based so I can browse, edit, and create recipes from any device. The interface is pretty slick and easy to use, and it has a built in water calc, plus they update it regularly with new features and content. I've been using it since I started brewing and I always hit my numbers.

Brew on!

Back