I don't know why I waited so long, but, I am finally able to get the hop flavor from late additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
... and all I did was make use of a wort chiller. I opened the lid to measure FG and to start dry hopping but I took a taste of the beer. Man! I can finally taste a lot of the citra flavors! I now want to rebrew some of my older IPA recipes and see how much better they are after wort chilling.

Anyone who isn't wort chilling is missing out on a lot of hop flavor, especially if doing late additions!

... and all I did was make use of a wort chiller. I opened the lid to measure FG and to start dry hopping but I took a taste of the beer. Man! I can finally taste a lot of the citra flavors! I now want to rebrew some of my older IPA recipes and see how much better they are after wort chilling.

Anyone who isn't wort chilling is missing out on a lot of hop flavor, especially if doing late additions!

its funny to me, with all the talk about no chill or short boils to see a thread about this. sometimes things are tradition for a reason. no knock on you of course . I also started to take advantage of hop stands recently. i love the smooth bitterness it provides and the hop flavors are amazing.

thanks for sharing.

I also don't really understand. Using a chiller should have little to do with hop flavor. When were you adding hops previously? If before 30 minutes left, yes, you were getting more bittering and less flavor/aroma than you would at 5 minutes. If you want more, cool to about 170 add a couple ounces of hops, wait about 15 minutes then continue chilling. For even more do a dry hop.

I read it as a hop stand like drop to 170 add hops and let it sit to extract oils. but now i am lost as well.

If you add your late hops at 212F and don't chill, the hops will be heavily isomerized as if they'd been boiled for quite a while, even if you add them at flameout. That's what OP is getting at. If, before he got a chiller, he had made a practice of waiting for the wort to drop to 170F or below before adding his late hops, his results probably would have been much more to his liking.

I also don't really understand. Using a chiller should have little to do with hop flavor. When were you adding hops previously? If before 30 minutes left, yes, you were getting more bittering and less flavor/aroma than you would at 5 minutes. If you want more, cool to about 170 add a couple ounces of hops, wait about 15 minutes then continue chilling. For even more do a dry hop.

I used to not chill at all and it would take FOREVER for the wort to drop below 170F. During this entire time, all the late addition hops are being treated like early addition hops and all the hop flavors were gone. Now that I have chilled down quickly past 170, I can finally taste the hops.

If you add your late hops at 212F and don't chill, the hops will be heavily isomerized as if they'd been boiled for quite a while, even if you add them at flameout. That's what OP is getting at. If, before he got a chiller, he had made a practice of waiting for the wort to drop to 170F or below before adding his late hops, his results probably would have been much more to his liking.

Exactly!!! Previously, I never really understood the 170F threshold and its effects on hops so I never bothered to wort chill. At the same time, I always wondered why I had very very little hop flavors from my late addition hops. I read something about isomerization above 170F and it dawned on me why I never had the hop flavors in my IPAs. :)

I always thought that wort chilling was only for getting the temps down as quickly as possible to pitching temp to prevent infections.

It sounds like oxidation might have been an issue for you while not chilling?

Also worth doing some First Wort Hopping if you haven't tried it. I've gotten a lot of extra pop from flavor and aroma when my bittering hops match the profile of the aroma hops.

Cryo Hops at whirlpool also make a much cleaner and intense aroma.

It sounds like oxidation might have been an issue for you while not chilling?

Also worth doing some First Wort Hopping if you haven't tried it. I've gotten a lot of extra pop from flavor and aroma when my bittering hops match the profile of the aroma hops.

Cryo Hops at whirlpool also make a much cleaner and intense aroma.

Why would you suspect oxidation? I learned that isomerization of hops happens above 170F. If you don't chill the wort down fast, the flame out hops will turn into 30 or 40 mins hop additions.

Why would you suspect oxidation? I learned that isomerization of hops happens above 170F. If you don't chill the wort down fast, the flame out hops will turn into 30 or 40 mins hop additions.
I think I didn't follow the full discussion. I see now. Makes perfect sense.

Back