I didn't use a hop sock .... is this ruined beer? ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AxelF

Reaction score
Hi I've just tried my first all grain IPA.

However I tied the hop sock too tight during the boil ... which I found out later was bad. So i read a brewer who said it's OK to just Chuck the Hops in the boil. So I opened the hop sock and poorer the hop pellets into the wort.

Then I made my second mistake ... I didn't have a wort cooler so I used some sanitised cooler blocks to bring the temperature down and I could see protein coagulate in the wort.

I left it 3 weeks before Dry hopping on the hope the protein would settle out.
I opened the fermenter and this is what greeted me.

Is this a ruined beer or is it just the pellet hops detritus floating to the surface ?

Attachments

• IMG_20200623_023614.jpg
    IMG_20200623_023614.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20200623_023633.jpg
    IMG_20200623_023633.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 87
Looks like hop scum. If it doesn't have a nasty smell you should be fine to give it a taste and see how it is

Thanks guys.
I will scoop out the crap after I have dried hopped.

Would any of you use a filter on a IPA to get rid of the finer particulate matter ?

I have a simple garden water filter unit on order (10 micron I think).

Not sure it will affect the taste and mouth fill

Thx
Axel.

Thanks guys.
I will scoop out the crap after I have dried hopped.

Would any of you use a filter on a IPA to get rid of the finer particulate matter ?

I have a simple garden water filter unit on order (10 micron I think).

Not sure it will affect the taste and mouth fill

Thx
Axel.

I wouldn't worry about filtering it but if you want a clearer beer next time, Irish Moss is a good way to go. Personally, I don't shoot for a clear ipa but you can.

Hi I've just tried my first all grain IPA.

However I tied the hop sock too tight during the boil ... which I found out later was bad. So i read a brewer who said it's OK to just Chuck the Hops in the boil. So I opened the hop sock and poorer the hop pellets into the wort.

Then I made my second mistake ... I didn't have a wort cooler so I used some sanitised cooler blocks to bring the temperature down and I could see protein coagulate in the wort.

I left it 3 weeks before Dry hopping on the hope the protein would settle out.
I opened the fermenter and this is what greeted me.

Is this a ruined beer or is it just the pellet hops detritus floating to the surface ?

Just thought I would mention that I never use a sock when doing hops. Into the kettle they go. All that crap settles to the bottom anyway and when you get to bottling day it's a perfect mix for your garden. :cool:

Latest posts

Back