I created a tan stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OswaldvW

Reaction score
A few months ago I got excited about roasting my own grains. So, I created my own chocolate malt, some crystal malt, and also decided to roast unmalted barley.

A few weeks ago I took my roasted, unmalted barley along with flaked barley, Maris Otter and Target hops to create a stout. When I added the grains to the water, I noticed the water did not turn the traditional dark colour. I continued the brew day as if nothing happened. My philosophy was that in the end, I will still have beer (used Wyeast 1084 - a lovely yeast if I say so myself).

I just popped open a bottle this evening (only 5 days into carbonation mode). I was curious to see how this beer turned out. It is rather tan, looks kind of like a bitter, but it has the roastiness of a stout. However, it is not AS roasty as a stout. And not as dark. Why? It's because when I decided to roast unmalted barley, the only grain I had available was bulk barley from the whole foods style store. No husks. This probably also explains why the stout never turned black.

So, now I have a tan stout. It is interesting. It is enjoyable. It was an experiment that still gave me pretty good results. I am pleasantly surprised.

I am sure there are other accidental discoveries out there in homebrewland.

Back