I cracked my mash tun any advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrayne10

Reaction score
I have a problem cause by me not paying attention but i cracked the side of my mash tun.
IMG_2677.jpg
I tried to do a quick fix and melt the plastic but that did not seem to work so i stopped. I hope i did not mess it up too much. Some one else had an idea to drill out a hole and fit a rubber stopper in it. Any other ideas?

Short answer. Get another cooler if it cracked then the plastic has probably gone brittle and now that you melted it you changed it. Save the heart-arche imo buy a new one.

Yeah, if it's a cooler, get a new one...You really don't want to try some patch and then have it fail during a brew. I once had my braid come off during a mash and stuck my hand in to re-attach it, it was painful as all get out, and very frustrating, but at least I could save the beer. Your situation is different.

We don't really want to see you post a thread where you describe your mash draining out of the side of your tun, while you stand there.

It's so not worth it. Just get another one.

I remember a thread from a while back where somebody was getting really nasty results. After cleaning and double checking everything for quite a few brews it ended up being a cracked cooler that they tried to fix and was adding off flavors. Theres a post on this forum, I cba to look for it tho.

Next time add warming liquid to a cooler in stages this time of year, that or toss in below boiling water to warm it. I'm guessing it cracked by a sudden temp change.

Best bet is to get a new one. If you want to save it temporarily, you could try and scuff the area w/ coarse sandpaper and apply some silicone sealant. Not a permanent fix, but will last a while.

Yeah, if it's a cooler, get a new one...You really don't want to try some patch and then have it fail during a brew. I once had my braid come off during a mash and stuck my hand in to re-attach it, it was painful as all get out, and very frustrating, but at least I could save the beer. Your situation is different.

We don't really want to see you post a thread where you describe your mash draining out of the side of your tun, while you stand there.

It's so not worth it. Just get another one.

I once forgot to put the braid on. I have the kit from Bargain fittings, which has the braid on a screw-on fitting, which makes it easy to remove and clean. Well, I broke my usual drill at some point and forgot to screw the braid in, and only realized after I had mashed in. Well, I didn't give it a lot of deep thought. I dumped the mash into plastic buckets, installed the braid, and dumped the mash back in. Lost surprisingly little temperature, and I only had to fish around a bit with a wire in the spigot when it was time to vorlauf. Not too bad, but I certainly hope I don't pull that again.......

You could drill it out with a hole saw and install a stopper. I think "The Pol" has a thread about installing thermometers into his mlt by using this method.

Coolers arnt that exspencive.
Plus this gives you a good excuse to get a bigger cooler if you are doing 10 gal batch's.

the cooler is a 54 quart cooler and the crack was from me slipping with a wrench and putting a hole in the side. I am going to try the stopper idea. the crack about an inch but the whole thing including the warped side from where i tried to melt it is 1 1/4 inches. So i am going to the brew store in an attempt to get a rubber stopper then to home depot to get a drill piece. If i do it this way i think that i will seal well and also i think later i could put a hole in the rubber stopper for a thermometer. wish me luck and thanks for the ideas guys. i will post a picture and let you know how it goes.

Back