I can't be the only one from Colorado!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocBob

Reaction score
I'm brand new to the site, and to homebrewing.

I just made my first batch Friday night (Fat Tire Amber Ale clone) and it's in the primary doin' it's thing. I can't wait!

I saw this link http://www.frappr.com/homebrewtalknation in another post, and thought why not include it again to see where everyone else is at. It's a cool map of other homebrewer's...I can't be the only one from Colorado can I?!?!

Oh yea, for anyone who know's Colorado, I'm in Rifle, CO...for those that don't, that's about 2 1/2 hours west of Denver

DocBob said:
I'm brand new to the site, and to homebrewing.

I just made my first batch Friday night (Fat Tire Amber Ale clone) and it's in the primary doin' it's thing. I can't wait!

I saw this link http://www.frappr.com/homebrewtalknation in another post, and thought why not include it again to see where everyone else is at. It's a cool map of other homebrewer's...I can't be the only one from Colorado can I?!?!

Welcome to the forum!

Mind posting your Fat Tire recipe?
I have one (a Fat Tire clone) in secondary that is going over to a keg this weekend, to be ready by Super Bowl Sunday! :D

Hey billybrew, you are right, there a lot of microbrews in Colorado. I don't know if it's still the case, but last I heard we had the most microbrews per capita in the nation!!! Gotta love that...I think I've been to most of them too... :drunk:

Dude, the recipe was a kit, from http://www.highgravitybrew.com/ I don't mind putting in a plug for them, they were a lot of help getting me started, didn't mind me changing their equipment kit, and I like the fact that their High Gravity brand beer kits come with the Wyeast or White labs yeast at no extra charge...this one was $24.95:

Fat Tire Amber Ale recipe:
6 lbs Muntons Light LME
0.50 lb. Dingemans Caravienne
0.50 lb. Weyermann Cara Munich I
0.50 lb. Dingemans Carapils malt
0.50 lb. Weyermann Munich malt
0.50 lb. Weyermann Cara Red
.5 oz Willamette pellet hops (Bittering)
.33 oz Fuggle pellet hops (Flavor)
.5 oz Fuggle pellet hops (Finishing)
1 tsp. Irish moss
2/3 to 3/4 cup corn sugar to prime
Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WLP001 (My kit came with the Wyeast smack pack)

Steep specialty grains in the at 154° F for 45 minutes
Beginning of boil: Add bittering hops
60 minutes: Add Irish moss.
70 Minutes: Add flavoring hops
90 Minutes: Add aroma hops and remove from heat. ...You know the rest!

If it tastes half as good as it smells then I've got a winner here! The recipe said O.G. should be 1.050 and my hydrometer said 1.051...that'll work.

Dude, were you the one who started the Frappr map? I feel like I have BO or something when you look at that map...I'm sort of in the middle of no one!!!

Yeah, there's a lot of good microbrews local here in Colorado.

I decided to start brewing my own becasue I didn't like the quality of european beers that could be found. There seems to be a great propensity toward hops here. Lots of IPA with IBU's of 50+ :eek:

Just as a point of Reference, Northglenn is a suburb of Denver.

Hey mezman, thanks for the post. Yea, I'm not big on the high IBU's either.

Dude, how'd that Fat Tire clone turn out? Mine just went to the bottles Saturday.

DocBob said:
Hey mezman, thanks for the post. Yea, I'm not big on the high IBU's either.

Dude, how'd that Fat Tire clone turn out? Mine just went to the bottles Saturday.

Thanks for posting the recipe....coincidentally the hops i used are exactly what is in that recipe, with the amounts/times changed slightly.

Mine is on tap right now, it is pretty stinkin' good. I think I overtoasted the grains this time so it has a hint of a popcorn smell and taste to it, but it isn't overpowering by any means. It might have been overpowering if I used more biscuit malt in the recipe though. I really like this beer, it'll be a staple at the brewery for a while.

Since I don't have any of my own brews ready yet, I'm having a "real" Fat Tire right now! Yea, it's pretty stinkin' good. I actually used to live in Fort Collins, CO, right down the street from New Belgium Brewing. Nice tour... :drunk:

I see they are hosting an AHA Rally on the 25th of this month http://www.beertown.org/email/aha/membership_drive/new_belgium.html...unfortunately, it's a pretty good hike for me now. Bummer.

Great site. I got a few good ideas for my second batch (bubbling away in the primary right now).

Back