I broked my thermometer. :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclometh

Reaction score
One batch in the fermenter, working on a pumpkin ale and was making a starter. I pulled the thermometer from the wort, put it down in the bottom of the sink and boom, it cracked and dumped the little black pellets and shards of glass everywhere.

I guess that's my first equipment casualty. At least the wort was cool enough.

did that with a hydrometer while switching star san from my fermenting bucket to auxillary bucket. forgot it was still in there. i now own 2 hydrometers, 2 thermometers, and 2 bottling wands.

I'm about to buy my 4th thermometer... One broke while cleaning up, a friend borrowed one and broke it in his cooling wort, the last one broke dropping it into its cylindrical plastic container. Time to move away from glass, those things are ridiculously fragile.

I dropped mine in a carboy full of wort and broke it...let it ferment and didnt turn out to bad.

I bought a new thermometer tonight so I could do a boil.

I got out of the car and sure enough, it slipped out of the tube and shattered on the driveway.

Another eight bucks down the drain, went and got my third one.

So now I've had 3 thermometers and two batches of beer, neither of which are finished.

I bought this digital thermometer for $12.50 after tiring of inaccuracies with my dial thermometer and breaking my mercury thermometer. In terms of utility:cost, it's my best value brewing-related purchase to date.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back