I brew mead, now beer. Question with high fg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilicet51

Reaction score
I'm proficient with mead but wanted to try my hand at beer.

I did a simple batch, brewers best Scotch Ale with my own alterations,

3.3 lbs. Amber LME
1 lbs. Amber DME (I added 3 more lbs.)

Specialty Grains
4oz. Caramel
4 oz. Smoked
4 oz. Chocolate
1 oz. Roasted Barley.

Hops
.5 oz Northern Brewer
.5 oz Williamette
I added 1 oz. Fuggle

Yeast Danstar Windsor yeast

SG 1.055

I finished the batch at about 7 pm. I checked up on it at about 10 AM the next day only to discover the beer spilling out of the airlock and the top about to pop. That lasted about 24 hours. I have seen no signs of fermentation since.
I waited four days, saw no activity, opened up the primary and took a gravity reading of 1.020. It seemed a bit low to me so I pitched another satchet of WLP007 (dry, not rehydrated, stupid move?), stirred vigorously and closed her back up.

It's been three days, I took another gravity reading and no changes were to be seen. Anything I can do or am I going to have to put up with a 4% abv Scotch Ale?

Temperature has been a steady 68 degrees.

I am going to guess that this is a 3 gallon recipe? When & how did you add the LME as well as the DME? And do you know approximately how old they were? I have heard of that old LME can become unfermentable.

I am going to guess that this is a 3 gallon recipe? When & how did you add the LME as well as the DME? And do you know approximately how old they were? I have heard of that old LME can become unfermentable.

5 gallon. I'm unsure of the age on the LME as it came with the kit. I brought the wort to a rolling boil and added the DME first, followed by the LME extract while stirring gently. I continued stirring until the wort returned to a gentle boil.

How did you take the gravity reading?

Hydrometer.

I put the recipe you posted into beersmith with as a 5 gallon recipe, and I got a Estimatede Original Gravity of: 1.036 and a estimated final gravity of 1.008. So if you misread the hydrometer you would have had ~.03 of attunuation, which would be finished

Brewers best scottish ale kit is for a 5 gallon batch and comes out around 3.5% (not including the extra extract OP added)

Back