I Believe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowabrew

Reaction score
Starters are amazing. Got some 6 month old Denny's Fav 50 for $2 at LHBS, wasn't going to make a starter and just pitch, but after reading thought wasn't the best idea, even into a 2.5 gal batch. Made a 500ml starter Thursday night took off nicely, then stepped up to 1L on Friday took off even better, then Sat morning bumped it again to 1.5L this by far was the winner, nice krausen formed and lots of workers going to town. This was all just intermitten shaking too!! Chilled overnight, decanted in the morning and pitched slurry into 1.072 rye ipa. This thing took off like a rocket in 8hrs or less (not sure of exact lag as i was sleeping) but this morning krausen 4 inches or better!

I don't think i'll ever not make a starter again, very easy to do even without stir plate. It's been said again and again, why pay $6 for yeast and not have an insurance policy to go with it.

It's been said again and again, why pay $6 for yeast and not have an insurance policy to go with it.

Because you only spent $2 on a packet of S-05 :rolleyes:

Joking aside, as far as liquid and washed yeast (same thing I guess?) go, I always make starters.

Yes yes i realize this, but I was making Wry Smile and while i had 05 on hand people swore that the Denny's 1450 was the "finishing" touch. Denny was quoted as saying "the wyeast 1450 is almost as important as rye." Plus i just wanted to make my first starter.

FYI pretty much exclusively use 05 as my "house" yeast. IPA's and APA's don't mind if it's dry or wet. Best IPA i ever made was using a cup of 05 APA slurry fermented at 60F.

Being a relatively recent convert to starters and washed yeast myself, I'm happy to see this post. For the first 80 gallons or so I brewed, I resisted washing and starters and thought my beer was "good." Not sure why, now. But for the last 100+, I've made sure to use starters and it has really made my beers shine. Over the holidays, I got to share my homebrew with a number of friends I hadn't seen since the summer.

"This is my favorite beer ever" (from three different people, Imperial West Coast Red), "This will win you some awards" (Chocolate Milk Stout), and "I'd pay $5 for a pint of this at any bar" (ESB) were some of the comments. I never got any of that before I started pitching starters.

Just sayin'....

I see references to "$2" packets US-05 or 04 on HBT from time to time. Where, pray tell, are people acquiring this yeast?! (the $2 variety, that is)

Back